Painting a 1964 356C Cabriolet

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
JohnSParsley
356 Fan

Painting a 1964 356C Cabriolet

#1 Post by JohnSParsley »

Could anyone direct me to information about correct paint colors or plating on various areas/components such as under front hood, inside bumpers, bumper brackets, etc. I am hoping that there is a summary in one place. Considering a bare metal repaint and want to take the opportunity to make sure it is all correct.

Many thanks
John
John Parsley
1964 356C Cabriolet

George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: Painting a 1964 356C Cabriolet

#2 Post by George Hussey »

By the time you take it apart, take it down to bare metal, cad and plate everything and install new seals, you will certainly spend 40 thousand dollars. Would it not be better to drive it as is and enjoy, and pass the restoration costs on to the next buyer when you finally sell it?
Paint color number is in the left door jamb, bumper brackets need to be powder painted, We use the worth products to duplicate the factory black undercoating, and try to replace all of the chrome original pieces rather than purchasing the aftermarket replacements (much more money but worth keeping the original stuff)
George Hussey

JohnSParsley
356 Fan

#3 Post by JohnSParsley »

I have done absolutely everything else to the car apart from the paint which looked fine until recently. It appears that the PO (a shop in California that shall go nameless) did not prepare the car properly for a paint job and the paint is deteriorating. I have decided to proceed and get that fixed and then enjoy it without having to do anything else. Thanks for the comments.
John Parsley
1964 356C Cabriolet

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Underside of hood finish depends on whether it is Karmann body or not. Karmann hoods had texture then painted body color. Ruetter/Porsche bodied cars did not have the texture on underside of hood. Karmann Chassis numbers start with a 2. Inside of bumpers is body colored. Bumper brackets black .Under dash area discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15649 Some discussion here also: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26079&hilit=hood+hinge+color In "Made by Hand" you can see a worker hand painting in the wheel wells to cover overspray. 1960 model Painting starts at 11 minutes.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

John, I'm pretty sure if you Google the topic, you will find previous threads on the correct paint, plating, etc. on the various 356 parts. Also, I'm sure there are members in your area that would be more than happy to advise you and, as always, we are here to help as well.

Also, the shop you choose should be familiar with the 356.

Mike
Last edited by Mike Wilson on Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

JohnSParsley
356 Fan

#6 Post by JohnSParsley »

Thanks for your responses.

Best
John
John Parsley
1964 356C Cabriolet

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Glad we could be of help, John. Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#8 Post by Bill Sargent »

John,

I have a 64C cab and went thru this ~ 20 years ago. Answers to your questions are:

Under front hood - body color and smooth with no undercoating under paint. Only Reuter made cabs and they are smooth. Some Karman coupes have the undercoating on the underside of the hood, with paint over it. Bolts/nuts holding hood to hinges are painted on car originally so are body color. I used a small brush to paint mine body color after assembly was complete. Same for bolts holding rear lid to hinges. Same for bolts holding hinges to doors and body.

Inside bumpers - body color and smooth.

Bumper brackets - satin black, or power coated if you want a more durable finish, but still satin black. bolts holding them to the car are brush painted stain black.

Inside of windshield frame - painted a ~ 70% gloss color to match interior color. Not painted body color. This color goes to the edge of the raised seam on top of windshield frame. it is also on top of metal dash so that what is seen under the dash pad is the same as the rest of the internal windshield frame - not body color.

Under dash - way up under and on back side of dash - rather crudely sprayed satin black. on firewall the black paint goes down to about the level of the bottom of the dash board. I used a small touch up gun and left some factory like overspray and thin areas.

Front trunk - (not under lid) lightly undercoated (except for chassis number) and then painted satin black. I used epoxy primer, then satin black, then undercoat.

Gas tank - kind of a light gray with a little blue. Search the forum for codes. Use a catalyzed paint that resists gasoline. I know there is a filler, but do it anyway.

Engine compartment - lightly undercoated, painted satin black and then soundproofing tar paper installed.

Whole bottom of car - painted satin black by hand where an undercoat spray cannot reach (think front and rear torsion bar tubes etc). then undercoat. I epoxy primed entire bottom. Then seam sealed liberally and sort of messy like factory, then satin black paint everywhere, then Wurth SKS undercoat sprayed at 30psi with their gun to give a mottled texture like factory.

Interior where not covered by upholstery - factory brush painted black around seat rails etc. rest of floor has lots of overspray black etc. Tunnel also painted black by hand before carpet or rubber mat. Inside of tunnel - if you want factory - left in bare metal to rust. I made sure it was epoxy primed and painted with satin black.

Cab top frame - light tan color. Autos international has the color code and I think Stoddards sells the paint in a can.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

The main parts of the floor and under pedal boards are body color with some black overspray? If so then all I have seen are restorations that are all black here.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

JohnSParsley
356 Fan

#10 Post by JohnSParsley »

This is very helpful.

Many thanks
John