It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Al Lager estate auction
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:59 pm 
356 Registry Member

Does anybody have the results? Did anybody here go to it?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:02 pm 
356 Fan

I couldn't find any info so emailed Carquip for information.

For those who are not familiar...
(you will be sorry if you don't watch the first one!)

[url]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNDt62-bao[/url]

http://www.allagerengines.com/

Sorry, Vic. Carquip did not return my email and could not find any info from the local newspaper.

Attachments:
allagerAd1jpg.jpg
allagerAd1jpg.jpg [ 156.65 KiB | Viewed 524 times ]

Last edited by Bob Watts on Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:17 am 
356 Fan

Vic,
Al was a good friend. I bought most of the 356 parts excluding the engine and trans stuff of which there was lots. Contact Tom Conway if interested in engine and trans parts.
Jim Kellogg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:36 am 
356 Fan

Tag: KTF
My experience with trying to buy any of the estate was unsuccessful. Hopefully whoever bought at the auction got decent pricing. When I tried to buy a large lot I was faced with retail pricing and was unable to make a deal.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:22 pm 
356 Fan

Vic, I attended the Al Lager event on two weekend's. The second time the people turned out, there was a good bit of buying!
Lots of things are still available. You can call Tom Conway @ 303-443-1342 he set the sale up and may have some items(?).
Richard Beasworrick
beaswo996@comcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:02 pm 
356 Fan

I went on Saturday. Al and I had known each other for 45 years, and he wanted to buy my old Lakewood home, but I wanted to stay, so I told him about a house for sale two doors north. Next thing I know, he's moving in! Over the years Al's health deteriorated, but his ex-wife Susan and another Porsche friend looked after him well. Still, he was able to build a few engines, and maybe 10 years ago he sold two shipping containers full of 356 bodies and parts to a German buyer. His replica Abarth-Carrera project took up a lot of his resources, and it's still for sale, along with a track Roadster with aluminum rear bodywork. Oh, and a Chrysler Airflow!

The event this October was not an auction but a yard sale. Tom Conway had done an excellent job of identifying and pricing thousands of parts, mostly mechanical stuff. The usual suspects were seen: Tom Scott, Norm Miller, even Bill Jackson. While I was there the crowd was slim, and there were no bargains, so I expect that Tom has a lot left to sell. Al had devoted his life to Porsches, first as a mechanic then as crew chief for Bob Hagestad's race team; he and Susan lived with regular 24-hour non-stop towing runs to Watkins Glen and the West Coast. That took its toll. Never one to worry about such formalities as building permits, he partly remodeled his house, and one day I watched a Tough Shed crew build an entire four-car garage for him in eight hours; asked about a permit, Al just laughed!

Al's Porsche books are offered on my web site, http://www.toadhallmotorbooks.com, though most are gone by now. Proceeds from the sale go to Susan.

Frank