1600 SC rebuild

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lars Waldner
356 Fan

Re: 1600 SC rebuild

#31 Post by Lars Waldner »

Would anybody have nearby the part numbers for both the super 90 crank and cam?
Thanks in advance...
58 Speedster
59 Convertible D

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#32 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Lars, do you have the B/C Katalog? Go here https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessories ... catalogue/ and scroll down to the 'Porsche Genuine Parts Catalog' where you can select the B/C version and download it. Otherwise, I have attached some excerpts showing crankshafts and camshafts. It looks like the camshaft came as an assembly and the number varies based on which gear comes attached.
Attachments
356_USA_60_65_KATALOG cuts.pdf
(316.23 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Lars Waldner
356 Fan

#33 Post by Lars Waldner »

Thanks Mark!
I guess I need to figure out what gear I have/need? So many variations, but the gear is independent of the cam? Why would that specific cam not have one parts number if it is the same grind?
58 Speedster
59 Convertible D

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#34 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I can't answer that question. I can only see one part number for a cam assembly including the gear. It may be he same grind but have different part numbers with different gears. Somebody with more engine experience than me will have to chime in.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Lars Waldner
356 Fan

#35 Post by Lars Waldner »

ryan base wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:38 pm lars , I was touched by your reference to your mentor neighbor. I wish my dad was still around
I guess I am fortunate...but he is a curmudgeon. As an example, in trying to sort what I have, what I want and what I need...I grabbed the part number off my SC cam
528.05 and my gear is an "O". I called to ask him (based on his experience) whether it was worth it for me to try to seek out a "super" cam for my build (and what else would I need to run it), as there has been some discussion that the super, SC and 912 cams are all very close in profile. A simple question I thought :shock: What was I thinking?
To put it in perspective, if I am building a street engine for a 911 2.2 T. I have a number of options available to me to easily influence the hp on the induction side. Knowing that the 2.2 compression is higher than the 2.4 compression, if I stroke the engine (swapping the 2.4 crank 70.4 for the 2.2 crank 66mm) I pick up a bit of compression. I can also consider swapping out the T cam for an E cam (as long as I have the valve clearance). Small easy modifications, but still using the T pistons...to bump the hp and torque.
I presumed this would also be possible with the SC engine. Keep the stock pistons, adjust the cr a little with base shims, and use a slightly hotter cam to pick up a little hp and torque. Apparently not. He went off on some lunar tangent...explaining how I should cc the heads, have custom high compression pistons made to match the head characteristics, same with a custom ground camshaft, open up the ports for optimal flow, yada yada yada. I explained that I wasn't looking to build an expensive race engine, but simply use off the shelf components to improve on the stock SC performance. That was a cop-out as far as he was concerned. Why build an engine when you can "really" build an engine. I wanted to point out that in the few years I have restored two 911s while has has been procrastinating on finishing his "tubbed" Plymouth dragster that STILL doesn't have a built engine...but I didn't.

I guess the path of least resistance to get this engine build under my belt is to build a stock SC engine using what I have. I have to start somewhere and I am not interested in going down any "twilight zone" rabbit holes in the process. It looks like I have accumulated all the valve train I need...just need to decide on pistons and start to make a checklist of parts to order, parts to machine, items to powdercoat and items to refinish. Always open to suggestions...but please if you do, at least give me the benefit of being able to email or PM if I have questions. Because I will. 8)
58 Speedster
59 Convertible D

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#36 Post by Martin Benade »

Lars, the S , S-90, SC and 912 all have the same profile although some have wider lobes than others, but function the same. How about building it stock but adding 1883cc Nickies to perk it up a bit? Get the valves seated properly and the piston/head clearance just right and it will be very pleasing. And I understand the stock jetting will be acceptably correct which is good as most of us would have a hard time figuring out what to change.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#37 Post by David Jones »

I think 1883 Nickies is a bit over the top in expense and bang fore the buck in a street engine. I have 1720 big bore engines with Solex PII40 carbs and the wide lobe cam in my 59 coupe and my 64 coupe and I have no problem staying with the pack on PCA drives locally but I confess the roads are made for driving round here and not for outright speed. Even so when he 911's hit 90 on the freeway I am not left behind. Just go with the big bore kit and one shim under the cylinders. Run 87 octane gas and just have fun.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715