It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: 1600 SC rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:30 pm 
356 Fan

So I am a 911 guy with many engine builds behind me. I need to build a 356 engine for my car (not matching) so I can take liberties.
I am fortunate in having a few complete engines to choose from...1600 C, and two 1600 SCs. The most likely candidate is one of the SCs which is a partially disassembled shortblock with a counterbalanced crank. The heads look good and are the black anodized versions. The P and Cs I have are a NOS set of Mahle 82.5mm and a used set of 86mm pistons with a set of steel liners and alu finned cylinders. Local friend (old Porsche mechanic) is encouraging me to go with the big bore cylinders...order some new higher compression pistons and have the cylinders machined/matched to the pistons. I realize balance is everything so I am planning to have the crank cleaned and balanced, rods machined and balanced and the heads machined re-using what is good, replacing what needs to be. I need to figure out what my cams are (understand 280-290 best for street). Local shop (Eisenbuds) will probably handle the align bore work on the case halves and CAM (Colorado Auto Machine) will do the heads and rods. Not sure who to use yet for the crank and cam yet, so open to suggestions. Assuming my crank is std, is there a general parts list for rebuild...seals/gaskets/bearings/hardware etc? Also, Denver lost one of its best chrome-powder-coating facilities a few years back and I would love to find a referral for that stuff so I don't have to send it out. Once I get my arms around what my expectations are for machining and parts, I will tear down the case and start the evaluation.

If anybody in the Denver/Boulder area wants to reach out...send me a PM.

Cheers

Lars

Post subject: Re: 1600 SC rebuild
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:33 pm 
356 Fan

Have fun deciding on what components to match: http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/ ... 202010.pdf depending on your intended driving style.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:34 pm 
356 Fan

Lars,
Winberg crankshafts in Denver understands 356 & 912 Porsche crankshafts. Their attention to detail is second to none and they are nice guys. See Randy.
http://winbergcrankshafts.com/

John

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:29 am 
356 Fan

Doug McDonnell wrote:
Have fun deciding on what components to match: http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com/ ... 202010.pdf depending on your intended driving style.

Wow...this is good stuff, thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:30 am 
356 Fan

John Hawkins wrote:
Lars,
Winberg crankshafts in Denver understands 356 & 912 Porsche crankshafts. Their attention to detail is second to none and they are nice guys. See Randy.
http://winbergcrankshafts.com/

John

Thanks John! I have heard of these guys through the 911 network.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:13 pm 
356 Fan

Lars,

Rare to align bore the later cases like the C/SC engines; check the bores w/an aligning bar. I use CCR (in TX) for crank refinishing including the grind, retreatment/hardening, and polished journals, plugs R & R'd. Comp. Engr. in Cal. can do all the work--pending on cyl. head condition, P/Cs can be suited for final 1720cc. There's nothing wrong re-using the OEM 82,5 PCs if the top 1/4" (ring reversal) of the cyl. will clean up, the bores are straight & round, and the pistons are in good condition; Compression was std. @ 9.3-to-1; You don't need to go higher incl. the B/Bore set--it'll be high enough for today's fuel for street driving! Also, the SC camshaft should be OK if it passes specs, or Elgin 66509 for all around use.

Carbs? Nothing wrong w/Solex as all original parts fit properly w/o cutting (UGH) fuel lines for Webers--
I have a complete Weber set incl. the manifolds, fuel lines, and chrome air filers for $650 shipped.
They were exchanged for a member who wanted conversion back to original for concours.
Exhaust system would be your choice, but nothing wrong w/stock OEM unless you want more noise.

Dick