Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registry?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registr

#106 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good points, Eric.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#107 Post by C J Murray »

Eric Cherneff wrote:Perhaps Curt can explain further, but resources are limited as to structural/design changes to the database. I am not involved with these changes.
Maybe the explanation will come at the next open meeting of the Trustees at our next event? Oops, I just read in the Registry magazine that those open meetings will no longer be held. :shock:

Eric, again, thank you for your efforts.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#108 Post by Curt Dansby »

Mr. Murray
I am sorry there will be no open meetings for you to attend this year. I know how vitally important they were to you. I must say I was very heartened to see you well and enjoying yourself at the awards banquet at the ECH in Ocean City. At the time I assumed you must have taken seriously ill as you were absent during that sparsely attended open meeting just a couple of hours before the banquet.

As I have said this is an evolving process and we are not finished working on the database. There is logic in not allowing membership to edit info once it is in the database. As Eric indicated what prevents Joe Doakes from changing info on Fred Smiths car? But there is an even larger potential breech. There has been at least one documented case of someone displacing old information( the way the database was working previously) with new, on a "re-built" car. This particular VIN is well documented with photos as having been parted out with not enough parts left to make a car(consisting of basically a small rear clip a front cowl, and the VIN stamp- no running gear, no doors, no interior parts, no inner structure or under carriage whatsoever. This particular 356 iteration commands in the higher range of the production cars and someone now has a car with that VIN and had represented it as "restored" on our site. This particular person has harassed the person who has the documentation on the small number of pieces that were left of this once car because it will potentially de-value his "car" when he tries to sell it. Allowing this to stand would have been a huge disservice to the poor sucker that may have bought that "car" based on information posted to our site. The discovery of this particular sham is what started the process of this upgrade. Eric like a few others in this club has generously offered his time to manage the database. Once he gets partially caught up you can provide data you would like for him to include (he may ask for verification) and he will upload it to the site.

KTF
Curt

C J Murray
356 Fan

#109 Post by C J Murray »

Curt Dansby wrote:Mr. Murray
I am sorry there will be no open meetings for you to attend this year. I know how vitally important they were to you. I must say I was very heartened to see you well and enjoying yourself at the awards banquet at the ECH in Ocean City. At the time I assumed you must have taken seriously ill as you were absent during that sparsely attended open meeting just a couple of hours before the banquet.
Mr. Dansby
Your concerns over my wellbeing are appreciated but unnecessary. Having previously attended your open meeting in Akron Ohio and having been the target of your special dose of arrogance I felt that the Ocean City meeting might go more smoothly without me. If others also feel "dismissed" by you that may be the explanation for the low attendance at the OC meeting. By the way, when I attended the Akron meeting and noticed that there was no paper or pen in front of the Trustees I suspected that member input was not why the meeting was held.

As for what can or can't be done with a database. I have ideas, which have never included non-owners the ability to edit, but it would be best to get input from those members who you respect.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

chris romney
356 Fan

#110 Post by chris romney »

I have a question in regards to members not being able to edit data. This thread prompted me to go check my cars and see what information was in the data base. One of my cars, which I bought when I was 17 from the original owner, clearly has some erroneous information entered in the search results. Despite the fact I've owned the car for 45 years, it's listed as having 2 different owners in the southeast. In reality, it's been in the state of Washington for all but the first two years of its life. It was also listed as a parts car for sale on EBay with no motor which was also incorrect. If I can't edit this, how do I get it corrected? In this case, I'm the one being harmed when my 2 owner, numbers matching car is listed as a parts car which was missing it's motor :-(. If you read this Curt, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Chris

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#111 Post by Erik Thomas »

Take a look at www.vintagebentleys.org to see what they do about this very subject. New information is sent in by owners, or others, and it is edited in as "new information" and sorted by date. In no case do they edit out or change earlier information, even it is known to be wrong. There have been complaints that some Bentley dealers have been making complete cars out of say, a numbered steering box, claiming the identity of a long scrapped vehicle. Just as in the 356 world. A complete 90 year old all numbers matching car is of course worth a lot more than a recently constructed mongrel.
The task of editing is much easier in the Bentley case, as there are fewer cars to contend with (under 2000?)

C J Murray
356 Fan

#112 Post by C J Murray »

Erik Thomas wrote:Take a look at http://www.vintagebentleys.org to see what they do about this very subject. New information is sent in by owners, or others, and it is edited in as "new information" and sorted by date. In no case do they edit out or change earlier information, even it is known to be wrong. There have been complaints that some Bentley dealers have been making complete cars out of say, a numbered steering box, claiming the identity of a long scrapped vehicle. Just as in the 356 world. A complete 90 year old all numbers matching car is of course worth a lot more than a recently constructed mongrel.
The task of editing is much easier in the Bentley case, as there are fewer cars to contend with (under 2000?)
This is a very constructive idea. Thanks.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

Re: Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registry?

#113 Post by Dave Erickson »

Can one of the current trustees update this thread with a summary of what is being done, or what is under consideration or in planning, related to this topic? i.e. it has been a couple years since the last post in the thread, we have new trustees with different points of view, so what has changed?

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

Re: Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registry?

#114 Post by Jim Liberty »

OK guys, I was a Trustee when we asked Bill B. to stop. The law suit we were engaged in at the time, took years to settle and hundreds of thousands of dollars. Porsche is being sued constantly for many different issues constantly, they have in house council. We are (were) just a bunch of volunteers. When you could buy a speedster for $10,000 the story was different. Yes I paid that much for mine many years ago. Very nice car and placed first at the Portland Parade in 1986. Then a dear friend missed a small detail on a 550 with his PPI. Yup, a law suit was threatened. He advised me to stop that service, and I have. I do it for free now, but no hands on, and an opinion only. By the way, Steve Heinrichs threatened to sue me and Tiffany personally. He told me he was going to make poor people out of us. I have no answer to the situation, but I support the Trustees decision. .....................Jim.
Jim Liberty