Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registry?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Larry Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registr

#46 Post by Larry Brooks »

C J Murray wrote:
Larry Brooks wrote:For over four years I have been unable to add cars to the VIN DB.

After all of my calls and emails over the years there was no resolution. Just told "We're working on it."

On a whim I just tried again. Added 4 cars with no problem this morning.

After posting the question on this Forum it works again within days.

I will dig through my files and add a few more when I get some free time.

Hopefully others here will do the same so we can bring it back up to date.
But is it all it should be in terms of the available moderm technology?

Obviously that would be a huge bonus, but I'm happy that it can now be updated and encourage everyone to do so. If you have a Kardex or COA it only takes a few minutes for each car. Otherwise, just write down the data and add it from your notes.

What it doesn't seem to do anymore is let you search a range of VIN's or Engine numbers. That is very handy for doing research on cars or engine types from a specific time period.

Certainly that would be a rather simple program once the raw data is recorded. It would be great to see how many cars came with certain engines or options during the time period or model run. Even numbers on paint and interior colors would be interesting.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#47 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Adam Wright wrote: I think you missed my point Emil. What I was saying was while everyone else, including yourself, is playing lawyer, surmising about the liability to the club, etc. Richard is a lawyer, and is questioning where the liability is.
Point not missed at all. As stated in my first sentence of my previous post, "Although I won't argue with Richard's points, I will say that lawyers argue amongst themselves when interpreting law as a matter of course".

Lawyers often don't agree. The Registry's lawyers certainly don't agree there's nothing to be concerned about, as has been posted more than once back in the threads about the lawsuit when it was active.

Remember, you can sue for almost anything. Doesn't mean you'll win, but you can sue. As we've witnessed with the suit against the club, even if the suit is basically frivolous as implied by the judge's final written opinion on the case, it still had to go though the courts at great expense, time and, perhaps more importantly, stress for all those volunteers involved.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#48 Post by Adam Wright »

Emil Wojcik wrote:
Adam Wright wrote: \

Lawyers often don't agree. The Registry's lawyers certainly don't agree there's nothing to be concerned about, as has been posted more than once back in the threads about the lawsuit when it was active.
Do we know if lawyers were consulted about this specific issue?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Emil Wojcik
356 Fan

#49 Post by Emil Wojcik »

Adam Wright wrote:
Emil Wojcik wrote:
Adam Wright wrote: \

Do we know if lawyers were consulted about this specific issue?
It's been a while and I'm getting older so I could be mistaken, but as I remember, yes, it was recommended by Registry lawyer(s). If I'm misremembering I hope someone who was involved in the suit will correct me.
Emil Wojcik
'64 356C Euro coupe
'78 MGB
'86 Jaguar XJ6 Series 3
'94 MB E420

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#50 Post by Dan Macdonald »

I still can't seem to edit the information on my cars that are already on the VIN Database. What's the trick?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#51 Post by Curt Dansby »

Folks
We have not even begun to affect the fix. The overall scope of the work to be done is still being evaluated by our web guy.( This will not be a simple process but I expect mods will begin in the next week or so) As I stated before, as progress is made, I will post to this thread to provide info on said progress. I was not the recipient of any of Larry's calls or e-mails so I have no frame of reference to his time frame. I can say that I have been President going on three years and he never reached out directly to me. ( Larry - not a slight towards you but I cant try to fix what I do not know about) As I have indicated in my posts the functionality of the database will be restored. I do not write code so I cannot tell you if you can have a cross reference between the Reutter and the Porsche paint code numbers. I can understand there is frustration and certainly I hold ultimate responsibility, but for those of you who have been paying attention there have been a few other issues that have had me and the rest of the board tied up for the past several months. I cannot make this happen by tomorrow. As I have said I will keep you apprised via this thread.

As far as the legal issues raised: I will not refute Mr. Blocks proclamations in his posts on this thread but I have the benefit of my own two eyes and the record as recounted to me by those who were on the board at the time of occurrence. At the time, due to complaints from several members of the club and at the advice of hired legal counsel the cease and desist letter to Mr. Block was drafted (and reviewed) by aforementioned counsel. While Mr. Block now uses the moniker of "self-proclaimed", that was not the case at the time and it put the club in potential jeopardy. Certainly, you are free to provide Mr. Block whatever information about your car you would like to proffer, however as I have stated, Mr. Block has no official position in the Registry other than member. Eric Chernoff will continue to be our VIN Database Manager and I am sure he will make the most of the upgraded functionality as the upgrade goes into effect.

Now for those of you who have been watching this thread from the sidelines, let's lay some cards on the table.

Without going into the trivial details, it should be known that Mr. Murray and I have issues. Anyone present at the Akron open meeting would concur. Additionally as I understand it, as of fairly recently Mr. Wright has issues with the entire board (and he and I do have some previous history, although I was under the impression that was resolved. But no matter.)

This is in no way to suggest that their motives and concerns over the VIN database are not pure. However, I would suggest that no matter what I post here some fault will be found, or there will be some shift to some other perceived failure (current or future) or shortsightedness on my part or that of board as a whole. And the drumbeat continues.

For those of you not interested in the tit for tat, I would request you pass judgement on this particular issue after the VIN database upgrade (at least in this iteration) is completed.

Additionally, as I referred to previously (and has been intimated by others here) e-vote notices will go out next Thursday. I encourage everyone to register your vote based upon what you feel will yield the greatest benefit to the continued success of the club.

KTF
Curt

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#52 Post by Martin Benade »

Curt, nice post containing facts, short on opinion. I like it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#53 Post by Larry Brooks »

Dan Macdonald wrote:I still can't seem to edit the information on my cars that are already on the VIN Database. What's the trick?
I just looked and yes that is still unavailable. I checked one of my past cars and remember trying to update it several years ago when I finished and eventually sold it. Not able to do it. Just tried again - no luck.

Based on Curts comments I guess I should have been going straight to the trustees rather than what I thought was proper channels.
Good to know if I have any other questions on this or any other matters.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#54 Post by Adam Wright »

Curt Dansby wrote:
Without going into the trivial details, it should be known that Mr. Murray and I have issues. Anyone present at the Akron open meeting would concur. Additionally as I understand it, as of fairly recently Mr. Wright has issues with the entire board (and he and I do have some previous history, although I was under the impression that was resolved. But no matter.)

This is in no way to suggest that their motives and concerns over the VIN database are not pure. However, I would suggest that no matter what I post here some fault will be found, or there will be some shift to some other perceived failure (current or future) or shortsightedness on my part or that of board as a whole. And the drumbeat continues.

For those of you not interested in the tit for tat, I would request you pass judgement on this particular issue after the VIN database upgrade (at least in this iteration) is completed.

KTF
Curt
I think you have that a little backwards Curt, the whole board seems to have a problem with me. Not that this is anything new, it's been going back for then a decade, at least to my knowledge, when there was actually a whole discussion in a Trustee meeting about the growing "Adam Element" in the club. Luckily for me there is usually at least one person at that table who tells me the truth of what's happening. I was really hoping that with the advent of so many new and younger trustees the snobbery would lessen some, but alas it continues. Oh well.
Just thought that anyone reading this should have both sides of the story and not just think that I was somehow harassing the board for sport, as it has been suggested. I always have and always will call out things that aren't fair in this club, even when it has gotten me suspended from the club in the past. The people who don't like me, already don't like me, so there's not much to lose really. So not a drumbeat, Curt, just some history.
And for the record, I thought everything was resolved too, as you suggested, it was for me, but the current board or members in it seem to not want to let the dis-like for me go. Hopefully one day it will stop and I can just be a member of this club.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#55 Post by C J Murray »

Oh my, I've been "called out"! It seems childish to me to divert the attention to our "relationship" but I will attempt to use Curt's observation to expose the substantive factors there to shed light on why some club improvements may not move forward.

Akron was a lovely event in spite of Curt's demeanor that radiated a chill requiring me to wear a parka when I walked past him. He was very strange especially considering that we had socialized pleasantly in past years. I did make it a point to approach him and offer my hand and that was equally cold. At that event, during the open meeting, he displayed an inexplicably rude and dismissive attitude. The subject I brought up was term limits and I believe that the Trustees take that as a personal affront which is in no way what motivates my desire for term limits.

All this relates to the subject of a registry in so far as the way that Curt has posted here in response to his many bosses, the members, who have posted to politely challenge a situation which they feel is not right. Curt is rude and dismissive in his responses. To trash Bill Block publicly is over the top. Honestly, I was at a holiday once where I had the misfortune of seeing Bill in a Speedo and that did temporarily blind me but Bill is a very nice guy. He was trying to make a positive impact on our club. There is nothing wrong with passionately expressing an opposite position but Curt's demeanor both in person and in the written word are indicative that he does not respect the right of others to have differing opinions or different views of urgency and this leads to me feeling certain that it is best to vote for someone who may be more open minded.

If people are developing a database as we speak then why have there not been requests for suggestions by our members? Do the Trustees intend to spend great amounts of time developing this only to have it fatally criticized by the people who requested the project be done? Isn't that how cars were produced in East Germany?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#56 Post by Wes Bender »

I think we can get far better results if we all back off a bit and then try to resolve the question by all working together on it. IMHO there's a bit too much "my way or the highway" attitude on this issue.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#57 Post by Ned Gorski »

I"M not one to chime in on political matters , as Curt stated earlier "you cant please everyone"..i don't envy anyone in a trustees position. i was my Daughters
softball coach many years ago, i learned my lesson then. " NO good dead goes unpunished"
I will comment on the theft portion of the conversation. The truth is if someone really wants your car they will get it. data-base info, no info, vin #s your address it doesn't matter, try googling your name see what info you find on yourself .. anyone can do a random search and find a million dollar antique car and the owner and address in less than 5 minutes. Then simply monitor their Face book. When they start posting vacation pictures then stop by their house odds are the only one home will be that Million dollar car, sitting all alone in the garage.
You can also go to any antique car multiple day event Porsche, Ferrari , vw exc.. . Then drive around that town you will eventually find an easy target or walk into the events main hotel then walk out the front doors at night and you can have your pic of the litter, Guard or no Guard as long as you act like you belong no questions will be asked. Most antique cars can be had with very easily .
Better yet if your a millennial and can't drive a standard, the last night of the event simply stop by the trailer parking lot with a pick-up truck... pre-packaged six figure cars ready to go, all you need is a 2-5/16 ball hitch and maybe a pair of bolt cutters.
There are ways to lessen the chances of loosing a car
i quick google search and you can find many affordable theft deterrent items. you can make a 6v remote delayed kill switch using a duck decoys remote for under $50 (works just like a car key fob ) allows your car to start for short period of time, then if the fob is not turned off it will automatically kill your ignition/ and or fuel , leaving the car dead on the road. a good garage stand alone or web based security system can be had for under $500, you can also get remote access cameras for under $50 that will text you when it senses movement . The bottom line is if your car gets stolen its not the list fault because they have your car in a data base .it was stolen because someone wanted it.

just my two cents

Regards Ned

Get Outlook for Android
Last edited by Ned Gorski on Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#58 Post by C J Murray »

Ned, sad but true.

For what it's worth 123 Tune Bluetooth distributors have a feature that disables the ignition via your smart phone. It is very slick but if I was a car thief I would use an enclosed trailer for a discrete getaway.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#59 Post by Wes Bender »

... or smear it with mud and load it on an open trailer. They'll think it's Adam bringing in another barn find.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

chris romney
356 Fan

#60 Post by chris romney »

Very low tech but still pretty effective nonetheless. I just disconnect the battery and turn off the fuel. It makes it enough harder to steal the car that hopefully they will go after something easier. Having said that, as Ned noted if someone is determined to find and steal your car they will get it whether it's in the Registry data base or not. Fortunately, I don't own anything unique enough that it's worth going to extraordinary efforts to steal. On another note, recently in the Seattle area some thieves tried to steal a BMW 3 series with a manual transmission. They couldn't drive a stick and were arrested a couple of blocks away. Perhaps a manual transmission is the new Lo-Jack, since knowing how to drive one is a dying art.