Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registry?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Who decided the 356 Registry should quit being a registr

#91 Post by C J Murray »

David Jones wrote:CJ, I voted, now how often should I vote? Wait a day or two or maybe a week?
In some places the election officials will do the voting for you, multiple times. :wink:
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#92 Post by Craig Richter »

:D :shock:

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#93 Post by Steven Murray »

Larry Brooks wrote: The VIN DB header at the top of this page has become a sad reminder of one of great resources that used to be available to members. It is so out of date now that it is virtually useless.
Glad to read that some progress is occurring. As a 356 wanna bee - I was thinking the main reason to be paying the $45 year to be a member is to get access to the VIN DB should I consider buying a particular 356. When I click on VIN DB - it asks for my userid and password, so it seems like 'members only' feature. In a few instances I have seen some owner information on some cars and maybe even a comment like 'driver' from this VIN DB application.

I'm surprised there is so much interest in the VIN DB from current owners, it seemed like something that would be more valuable to prospective buyers.

BAT seems to be a good place to pick up tips on cars as I have a long term view and might not buy for a few years some of these BAT cars may come up for sale again. On one bat sale folks said 'This car was once mine - the entire back is from a different car'. That's good info to track for the future. I've kind of been beating myself up because I'm starting my own little database of BAT sales but I often forget to check VIN DB and record that info should I not renew in the future.

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#94 Post by William Block »

Recent members may not be aware that the for a decade starting from as early as the early 80s the back cover or the mailing sheet had a request to register your 356.
Attachments
Jul '83
Jul '83
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#95 Post by Adam Wright »

William Block wrote:Recent members may not be aware that the for a decade starting from as early as the early 80s the back cover or the mailing sheet had a request to register your 356.
You mean, like a Registry....?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#96 Post by Dan Epperly »

Couldn't the 356 registry be sued for falsely advertising itself as a Registry?

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#97 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Dan Epperly wrote:Couldn't the 356 registry be sued for falsely advertising itself as a Registry?
Don't give anybody any ideas! There are enough starving lawyers out there who'll sue anything.

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#98 Post by Bob Forman »

"Starving lawyers." That has a nice ring to it. :wink:
Bob Forman

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#99 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hello Folks
As I indicated some time back I said I would post in this thread to report to you after we had achieved some improvements in the database.
I am not going to suggest how much "better" it is, but significant changes have been made(you can experiment yourselves) and I am sure this thread will heat back up. The point to remember is there are more than two sides to this coin. Certainly every member has a voice, but each individual voice is not a "'majority" . We have made significant upgrades to the database for the benefit of the "whole"- opinions will vary.
I would like to think that the board is responsive to the concerns of the membership, and as I have written more than once, our phone numbers are posted in the magazine and on the website in order for you to voice concerns or ask questions should you desire.

This VIN database iteration is still "wet paint" and I have not yet been able to go over it with Eric, but I expect it will continue to evolve.

KTF
C

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#100 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the update, Curt.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

C J Murray
356 Fan

#101 Post by C J Murray »

No matter what I say here there is no way to avoid conflict. Sad.

First, thank you to Eric for taking this on.

Thank you to Bill Block, Bob Watts, and many others who have gathered 356 data.

To the Trustees, thank you for the effort but apparently you did not like any of the ideas presented by members in this 7 page thread and elsewhere. Is there a reason why?

Ultimately I believe that the only way to keep an accurate database is to allow some portions of the database to be updated by the owner of the car. It is just too much to ask of a volunteer.

Here is a screen shot of data on my 1959 sunroof coupe which has no mention of the sunroof or that it has been restored and has other inaccuracies. 7000 members, some with multiple cars, who is going to volunteer to keep that up to date?
Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 8.44.13 AM.png
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#102 Post by C J Murray »

Does anybody have anything to add?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#103 Post by JohnPierce »

Cliff,

I agree that it would be nice to modify your own car's entry. I've got a coupe and a roadster and neither are in the Registry.

John
1963 B T6 Project

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#104 Post by Mike Wilson »

It seems that the owners should be able to update the info in their car(s) by means of a password protected method. Not sure how difficult that system might be to set up.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#105 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Perhaps Curt can explain further, but resources are limited as to structural/design changes to the database. I am not involved with these changes.

Does everyone realize that if you click on the record that shows up in a search, it will take you to a page listing all records for that number? It is not immediately obvious, but you may see stuff you didn't realize was in the db.

Allowing members to change records is technically feasible, but the issue is more about whether or not this should be done. Implementation is a challenge (e.g., how is "proof" established that someone owns the car and therefore has the "right" to edit it?, and what happens when you sell it? I can only imagine the administrative hassle of sorting that out!). Another concern is the removal of "unflattering" records about a car (e.g., stolen, scrapped, written-off, etc. in the car's history.

Like many things, a simple change is not always so simple and may have many ramifications.

The administrative side of maintaining the db has been upgraded and I am currently wading through 150+ accumulated emails. Lots of catching up to do...
Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager