Matching number finder

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Omar Bisi
356 Fan

Matching number finder

#1 Post by Omar Bisi »

Hi Guys,

I am new here. But I just wanted you guys to know about this as well even if I am a early911 guy still. In order to find my matching number engine there was a lot of time spent and no result. All kind of Porsche pages/ club pages /forums and so on.... and all around the world in different languages. Yep you know the problem :)

In order to make it easier for all of us I decided to put up this "Tinder"/"Match making machine" for classic Porsche Motors. So please fell free to try it:

http://www.porschemotorsearch.com

This is totally a hobby and a not a business. We just put it up, so there WILL be things we can make better right now in the beginning, so feel free to comment. All ideas highly appreciated.

This thing can only work if we all spread the word/link in the internet and get the so wanted engines in to one system/database. Facebook, Club pages worldwide, Porsche forums and so on can make this possible, but with your help.

So good luck with the search!! Hope you like it.

Thank You

Omar

JohnPierce
356 Fan

Re: Matching number finder

#2 Post by JohnPierce »

Great idea Omar. Maybe you could add the information from the "Composite List of Engines" on the forum main talk section.
1963 B T6 Project

Omar Bisi
356 Fan

#3 Post by Omar Bisi »

JohnPierce wrote:Great idea Omar. Maybe you could add the information from the "Composite List of Engines" on the forum main talk section.
Hi, I dont think I can do that, but I can se that information is starting to drop in automatically. I think it would be easiest if the one in charge of the list would inform the persons on the lists. But lets see how this starts out first. I am really happy to see that we get engines and searches from all around the world already. This is really a global hobby :)

David Pateman
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Pateman »

Omar, I have a short list of wanted engines, and a long list of engines available. With these lists I have been able to reunite a few cars with their engines. However I cannot afford the time to put all of these in your database, and I am not the contact that is doing the seeking. It appears that one cannot even look at your list; is this correct?
Contact by email

Omar Bisi
356 Fan

#5 Post by Omar Bisi »

Hi,

As it is now. You can only search for the number you need and if it is in the database you will have a match and get the information. Also if you put an engine on the available side, you will be informed immediately if someone is looking for exactly that one. But we are open to all kind of ideas. Someone just emailed us that we would like to have a range search. We are thinking about that as well.

As we all have time limits we wanted to make an automated system where you have the available engines and seekers all the time in a real time database. So no one have to monitor it all the time. Would it be possible that you send one email to the guys on your lists about this possibility?

Thank You

Omar

Omar Bisi
356 Fan

#6 Post by Omar Bisi »

Wow guys!

It is really getting attention. Engines coming in from all around the world and one guy just put in 15 engines!!! Thanks for the support. I really hope this will do our job easier in the future to find the engines:). Most engines so far from UK, New Zeland, USA, Finland, Sweden..... We will put a real time number in on the first pages where you will see the amount of engine numbers in the system, but first we need to fix the bugs. And thanks again for linking this pages on the right pages.

Omar

Drew Saunders
356 Fan

#7 Post by Drew Saunders »

Hi Omar
Just to introduce myself, I'm the 15 engine guy (should have been 18 unless I missed a couple).
Engines_sml.jpg
Anyway great site, easy to use so lets hope it will reunite the right engine with the right car in the future.
Just to be clear they are not all complete engines, some are just 3rd pieces and so that people don't think I'm some made engine hoarder most of these I'm selling for a guy here in the UK who bought several container loads of 356 parts from the US several years ago.
Will add a couple more today and one I'm looking for.
Great idea.
Regards
Drew
1944 Type 82 Kubelwagen (Sold)
1959 RHD Coupe (Sold)
1959 LHD Convertible D (Sold)
1959 RHD Coupe (under restoration)
1959 LHD Convertible D (awaiting restoration)

Omar Bisi
356 Fan

#8 Post by Omar Bisi »

Hi,

Thanks a lot Drew. There is over 100 engine numbers in the database already... And growing all the time. We try to fix the functionality a bit more so that it is more clear to use. I just want to remind you all that I am NOT a data pro and all changes will be made by my friend Tuomas. So all comments how to develop this is highly appreciated. Tuomas has built systems for banks but has nothing to do with classic Porsches so this is all new in a way for him as well.

I finally start to understand that many owners want to find the matching engine! Lets se when we have the first MATCH :)

Omar