1959 356A Super Coupe - Australian Delivered $AUD260k

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Nanette Reid
356 Fan

1959 356A Super Coupe - Australian Delivered $AUD260k

#1 Post by Nanette Reid »

I have a friend here in AUS who is interested in this car but there a few things that don't feel right about it, apart from non-original paint and interior.

I emailed for more details, but they basically gave me the spiel from the listing - so on that point, I'm not very impressed. "Numbers matching" means nothing if I can't check it out IMHO, and I rather thought they would provide these at the very least.

I think he can do better for the price but wondered what everyone's thoughts were? I will readily admit I haven't seen too many A Super's here, so maybe the price is fair?

https://classicthrottleshop.com/1959-po ... 6-a-super/

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: 1959 356A Super Coupe - Australian Delivered $AUD260k

#2 Post by David Jones »

Nanette, that engine makes me wonder. Dellorto carbs, upside down coil, wrong fuel pump, funky looking distributor which appears to be 180 degrees out. I would be asking for pictures of the underside and a COA. Looks like a cosmetic restoration.
Low over rider bumper so pre February 59 manufacture.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#3 Post by Edwin Ek »

"Meticulous attention to detail" for the restoration is a joke. The fit of the front hood is lousy. One more example: Normal tachometer for a Super engine. Seller is either deceptive or foolishly ignorant. Auratium green is a cool color for sure. Trust nothing of what the seller says. Demand proof that numbers match. Seller made the claim; he must have information (CoA, Kardex) to confirm it.

Probably none of us here in the US know what the market for 356 cars is in Australia. It could be the basis for a spectacular car- it could have good bones. Inspection by a knowledgeable 356'er is required to determine that.

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#4 Post by Tom Tate »

The market for RHD cars may be a lot different that the Tubs we have here in the US but I would think that for roughly $190k USD the color and interior would be correct. A few things have been mentioned (easy fixes in the engine compartment) but I also noticed an interesting kink on the front over ride bar. Actually looks pretty good even if it's not right. The rear upholstered panel is 4" short and vinyl was substituted for carpeting below the seat back. Wrong color on the door tops and the dash pad, while the correct match for the interior now present, isn't finished right on the ends. All in all it looks like it was well done but by someone who was not familiar with a 356. There is so much information available that doing a car incorrectly is really hard to understand. If the restorer was a craftsman, which apparently he was, the only real question would be what items that you can't see need to be done over? A PPI by a 356 expert is definitely called for. KTF

George Hussey
356 Fan

#5 Post by George Hussey »

yes the engine compartment sums it up. Delorto carbs? Must be a joke. I guess the yellow spark plug wires are to color up the engine compartment.
David Jones wrote:Nanette, that engine makes me wonder. Dellorto carbs, upside down coil, wrong fuel pump, funky looking distributor which appears to be 180 degrees out. I would be asking for pictures of the underside and a COA. Looks like a cosmetic restoration.
Low over rider bumper so pre February 59 manufacture.
George Hussey

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

Something funny about the generator wiring too. Heavy wire on the field and lighter wire on the ground connection.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#7 Post by Spencer Harris »

Were black dash knobs even available in '59? My '57 parts manual shows only beige or grey, and the PET catalog doesn't list color details that I see. If the original color combo was Auratium green over Tan, the knobs would've certainly been beige or tan. If the black knobs were added when the color change was made they certainly do clash with the beige steering wheel, signal switch and shift knob and the tan signal housing and steering tube. I agree with Tom - strong money and lots of inconsistencies.
59 knobs.JPG
59 knobs.JPG (51.44 KiB) Viewed 1079 times
Last edited by Spencer Harris on Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce Smith »

The paint doesn't look so good. But it is certainly shiny.
Bruce Smith

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Love that Auratium Green. Bummer.

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#10 Post by Spencer Harris »

Tom Tate wrote: ...I also noticed an interesting kink on the front over ride bar. Actually looks pretty good even if it's not right. ...
That is an "interesting" kink. Maybe the original high-bar tube kinked to make it fit to low-bar guards? High-bar tubes would be about 1-3/8" longer on each end than low-bars.
High Low Overriders.JPG
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Nanette Reid
356 Fan

#11 Post by Nanette Reid »

Tom Tate wrote:>>>I also noticed an interesting kink on the front over ride bar. Actually looks pretty good even if it's not right. <<<
Tom, that was the very first thing that stood out on the photos when I took a look! And the hood fit was definitely another area I picked up on, and yes, for the money I would have at least expected it to be correct exterior and interior.

Thanks to all of you for your input on this one. I know it's tough to figure out pricing for cars over here and I would agree that an original, AUS Hamilton delivered car, does add a premium but I really think this is overpriced for a "non-original, matching numbers" car.

I enquired about a Kardex and/or COA and the dealer confirmed they had confirmed the numbers and wanted a "holding deposit" so that I could organise my own confirmation as such. Ahhh, really??!! :shock: You want my cold hard cash so that I can confirm everything I have asked that you refused to answer? Not b****y likely, mate! These guys have some very nice cars for sale, but such evasiveness is telling me to stay well clear - if you can't supply a photo of the VIN tag and engine number, what more are you hiding?

On the basis of what you have all detected, my initial reactions to some errors and the attitude of the dealership, I will be telling my friend to not go any further with this car. Instead, I'll direct him to the US - bigger choice, this great community and some very nice cars currently on offer in the classifieds.

Love this community - you always provide such great responses and advice. Thanks again! :D :D

Jim Karaba
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Karaba »

It looks like it has a home made rear breast plate tin also. Lots wrong in the engine bay which is most likely why there is only one photo of the engine. Good thing it is not the 44hp 1300 engine they talk about in the ad.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#13 Post by Wes Bender »

Remember Jim Liberty's mantra, "Buy the Seller". (He must be on vacation or he would have chimed in already.)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#14 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Are the carpets made of real Wooly Mammoth fur?

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#15 Post by Mike Smith »

Have tried twice - The Seller refuses to release the Chassis number
With a bit of deduction work my guess is that it is 107 004 but that is NOT a Super

With all that is obviously incorrect and the sellers attitude - It is not one to consider without very careful inspection by someone who knows 345`s
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)