Generator light came on

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Spike Jones
356 Fan

Generator light came on

#1 Post by Spike Jones »

An interesting thing happened last week. I was driving my '58 cab, with approx. 240 miles after reviving it from a 26 year slumber, when the generator light came on. I had polarized the generator when I got it running a few months ago. It had been normal up to that point.

Today, I re-polarized the generator and put everything back together. I then got in the car, started the engine and the generator light went out!! It stayed out even at idle speeds. So I drove it around for about 30 minutes with no change in the light. I turned on the radio, turned on the headlights...no change. I haven't done any voltage tests on the generator yet.
It had been sitting for about 2 weeks.
Any thoughts as to why it might have lost the residual charge??

Thanks
Spike
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Generator light came on

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

After you turned off the engine, did you turn the key back on and check the bulb to see if it had burned out?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

You should have the black box regulator. Remove the cover, (engine off), and inspect the three 'fingers' at the top of the unit. Sometimes they stick after long periods of inactivity and will make the gen. light come alive. Give each finger a gentle tap or two.
I would run a quick field check of the generator...loosen the neg. battery cable. Now, with the engine held at about 2,500 rpm, remove the cable from the battery. The engine should continue to run if the gen. is in good shape. If the engine dies, the gen. should be suspected.
Of course, since you did polarize the gen. and the light went out, things are probably good to go.

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spike Jones »

Wes...… the light stayed on until I turned off the engine. Then, after turning the key on and starting the engine, the light stayed on.
Now, after polarizing the generator, it comes on when I turn on the key without starting the engine and goes off when I start the engine.

Geoff... I plan to run the voltage test tomorrow.

Thanks for the input.

Spike
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#5 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Make sure the brushes are contacting and are in good shape

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mike Horton »

Good question, Thomas, but when I helped Spike go through the engine, we did find a weak brush spring, and replaced it, along with the brushes.
Mike

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#7 Post by Wes Bender »

If it seems to be OK now, you've verified the gen light is working, it was probably gremlins and I'd just drive it. If you have access to a voltmeter, you could check the generator's output voltage at idle and again at about 1500 rpm or so. That would tell you if you need to chase it further/farther (which one Vic?).

If the voltage is low or it happens again, you'll need to go deeper into troubleshooting mode.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jon Schmid »

It's "further," Wes. Their you go. :P

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Craig Richter »

Jon's smart. "Farther" refers to distance.