T1 Speedster sound deadner

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rich Ewald
356 Fan

T1 Speedster sound deadner

#1 Post by Rich Ewald »

Was any type of sound deadner or insulation used under the carpet and rubber mat of the T1?
thx in advance..

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Re: T1 Speedster sound deadner

#2 Post by Dan Macdonald »

A follow up question please:

Was there any tar matt sound deadener used AT ALL on a T1 Speedster?
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Jim Stephenson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jim Stephenson »

I have a mid 1956 t1 Speedster June 15th of 56 #82361 and yes the tar backed sound deadnig was only used on the right and left inner walls of the engine compartment. When I restored the car 20 years ago I was very careful to take it apart, as it was a solid old California car and bit and pieces of the old sound deadner remained.

A few years ago I was visiting Willhoit's shop in Long Beach I noticed they were restoring a very original t1 Speedster . I noticed the same tar based pieces on the right and left inner walls on the engine compartment two pieces on each onside, so totaling four pieces.

I do not know of any other tar based undercoated pieces that would be used on a t1 Speedster.

Hope that helps.

Thank You

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Since many(most) of the early 356 bodies were built with the thought they could become Carrera-engined ones, there were holes in the left panel for the oil tank neck. The tar paper was a simple solution to cover the holes. My 82616 had exactly that set-up.

Rich Ewald
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rich Ewald »

jim stephenson wrote:I have a mid 1956 t1 Speedster June 15th of 56 #82361 and yes the tar backed sound deadnig was only used on the right and left inner walls of the engine compartment. When I restored the car 20 years ago I was very careful to take it apart, as it was a solid old California car and bit and pieces of the old sound deadner remained.

A few years ago I was visiting Willhoit's shop in Long Beach I noticed they were restoring a very original t1 Speedster . I noticed the same tar based pieces on the right and left inner walls on the engine compartment two pieces on each onside, so totaling four pieces.

I do not know of any other tar based undercoated pieces that would be used on a t1 Speedster.

Hope that helps.

Thank You
Thanks Jim... I'm working on a one owner 57' 1600 ...since 63' It had most of the original carpet replaced by owner in the early 80's. A few original pieces remained but I could see no evidence of padding or sound deadening similar to what was used on the Cab's or coupes..