Rebuilding Carrera Autopulse Fuel Pump

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Wiener
356 Fan

Rebuilding Carrera Autopulse Fuel Pump

#1 Post by Jay Wiener »

https://www.classicandexotic.com/store/ ... l-500.aspx

Well, after being almost certain that there is no way Porsche would ever use an American fuel pump in a Carrera.... I was wrong! Having being a newbie in the 4 cam world, I thought I would tackle my leaking fuel pump. Autopulse? Great, someone replaced my correct, made in Germany pump with some cheap American one off a chevy or something. Well, at least it worked. Woops! I was certainly wrong about that. After much research and talking to a few 4 cam experts... Waaaaaa-la! This place in Michigan is incredible.

Any other vendors good for fuel pumps and parts?

Jack Walter
356 Fan

Re: Rebuilding Carrera Autopulse Fuel Pump

#2 Post by Jack Walter »

Autopulse pumps were widely used on older cars - from Duesenbergs and Auburns to other brands - and sold in the aftermarket - they are pretty common. Ebay has them frequently.
The wrinkle finish red on the solenoid cover was original to the pumps in the car - and there was one spare pump in a box that went with the car. The manifolds that connect the two pumps together are the parts that are hard to find.
We went completely through all three of the pumps but the brass diaphragms in them is pretty fragile - are you sure it wasn't leaking at one of the banjo connections? The threads in the aluminum casting are pretty delicate.

A friend of mine had some wrinkle finish red powder coat he used to do some valve covers on his motorcycle so we recoated the solenoid covers with the more durable finish.

I do still have my backup plan - a vintage 6 Volt Conelec rotary pump that is brand new - never installed. It has enough capacity to single handedly supply the engine with more than enough fuel.
Attachments
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

Jay,

Yes they are very helpful when it comes to the gaskets. I used them to rebuild the pumps on my '57 coupe. Regarding other parts. I know someone in Italy has made the pump brackets. Manifolds have also been made by more than one person. With some searching you an gather all the parts to put together a set for your car. The only item I believe nobody makes is the fuel lines. This is however a fairly easy DIY job.

Good luck,

J.

a picture of my pump assembly after I restored it.
Attachments
December 2009 107_2.jpg
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

When I was growing up there was an Autopulse on a shelf in the basement that my father had on his 48 Anglia for a while sometime before 1955. I don't remember the car, but the pump sat around for many years.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#6 Post by Paul Lima »

Joris, your pumps look beautiful. Jim Kaufman (Carburetor Rescue in Sedona AZ) did the pumps for the Behra Carrera and, also, did a beautiful job.

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#7 Post by Michael Foster »

Looking for the fuel pump bracket that bolts to torsion bar tube.

Anybody have one they want to sell or know where to obtain same?

thanks

Michael
MICHAEL FOSTER

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Wiener »

Michael, click the link I posted for classic and exotic. They have the brackets

Jack Walter
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jack Walter »

I think Michael is looking for the bracket that actually bolts to the torsion bar. I think Marco at elevenparts is making reproductions of those

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#10 Post by Michael Foster »

Thanks, Jay, Jack and Mike for reply's.

Michael
MICHAEL FOSTER