Clutch that goes clunk

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Clutch that goes clunk

#1 Post by Dan Epperly »

I've had this off issue with my B coupe normal for about a year since I finished restoring it.
When the engine is warm, when I release the clutch in First the clutch seems to begin to grab as I get forward motion but when I let my foot off the pedal it engages with a distinct clunk, almost like something is grabbing the cable and then letting loose all at once at the last second.
It doesn't do this when cold.
The clutch will also slip a bit if I step on the gas before it "clunks."
Could the cable be hanging up in the Bowden tube?

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

Re: Clutch that goes clunk

#2 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Did you take any photographs of the flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, throwout bearing, release fork while doing reassembly?

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#3 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Dan-
I have had that issue and could not figure it out,,,, until it broke. Look up front at the connection of the clutch cable. Operate the clutch pedal by hand and watch to see if the connection rotates easily or if it hangs up and then "gives" with a clunk sound. Mine eventually broke at that connection and just because of a lack of grease.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Dan

I agree with Paul, sounds like the pivot on the pedal is sticking. The cable should pull straight in and out. If the pivot sticks the solid end of the cable will move up as it pulls the cable. That causes fatigue where the cable is swagged to the rod. If there is any rust on the pedal where the cable goes through, dissemble the cable remove the pivot and clean all of it and re grease the entire pedal assembly.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dan Epperly »

Good ideas I'll give it a looksee this weekend. Thanks fellows.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Epperly »

Pulled the floor board off and lubed up the pivot. Drove it today and so far no clunking. Must have been the problem. Thanks!