Rear Main Seal Problems

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Rear Main Seal Problems

#16 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Dan Epperly wrote:
Toby Brown wrote:After taking Vic's recommendation of the Reinz seal we thought that it was finally a winner. After a hour long test run we found that it was still leaking. We were very careful in the Reinz seal installation and took our time with no luck. What else could be going on to cause this leak. The engine now has about 1000 miles on it and is running very strong. Any ideas?
Check the face of the crank where it mates with the flywheel. I had a VW crank that had a slight deformity there and caused a leak.
I suppose the same could happen on the flywheel face too.
Had that very problem with my 64C coupe many years ago. The flywheel face had been machined to too great a depth. Would have taken a stack of shims to get decent endplay. Solution was a new flywheel.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Dave Wildrick wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:
Toby Brown wrote:After taking Vic's recommendation of the Reinz seal we thought that it was finally a winner. After a hour long test run we found that it was still leaking. We were very careful in the Reinz seal installation and took our time with no luck. What else could be going on to cause this leak. The engine now has about 1000 miles on it and is running very strong. Any ideas?
Check the face of the crank where it mates with the flywheel. I had a VW crank that had a slight deformity there and caused a leak.
I suppose the same could happen on the flywheel face too.
Had that very problem with my 64C coupe many years ago. The flywheel face had been machined to too great a depth. Would have taken a stack of shims to get decent endplay. Solution was a new flywheel.
Sounds like you had a S-90 flywheel.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#18 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Where EXACTLY is the leak occurring?

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#19 Post by Ron LaDow »

Vic Skirmants wrote:Where EXACTLY is the leak occurring?
And when (like any service activities) did it start leaking?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Chuck Allard
356 Fan

#20 Post by Chuck Allard »

It could be from the dowel pins. Put a bit of green Locktite on each before final torque of flywheel nut.