Buzzing/Vibration During Attempted Start

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Russell Rose
356 Fan

Buzzing/Vibration During Attempted Start

#1 Post by Russell Rose »

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the registry. Excited to get working on my new project. I have a 1965 356C coupe that has been in the family. It was run intermittently for awhile and then for almost 18mos it sat. I went to pick it up with an auto transport hauler and put a new battery in it and it fired up with almost no problem. It ran for Just long enough to get it on a transport trailer. Overnight it got chilly making it harder to start. But when trying to crank you can hear the starter with an occasional fire like the engine will come to life but it is interrupted by what sounds to me like it could be the starter not engaged and spinning freely. This seems to happen just before the engine starts preventing it from finally starting. I don’t know if it is the starter solenoid is bad or if it’s normal. What’s the easiest way to upload a video?

Thanks

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Buzzing/Vibration During Attempted Start

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Google "checking 356 Porsche starter". There are several articles on the topic.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Russell Rose
356 Fan

#3 Post by Russell Rose »

Most of what I found on those links was a “click” or nothing at all. This isn’t the case here it will be turning over then be a loud winding noise. I was unable to find a situation similar to mine on these links. See sound at this link https://youtu.be/9Lku0v9aC0g

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

When I was a kid we had a car that did that. My dad, a mechanic, said it was a bad Bendix gear in the starter. I would do a new starter and bushing. I have had good luck with rebuilt starters from abcpartswerks.com If you have an original Porsche starter you might want to just have yours rebuilt. You can see a visual of how to tell Porsche from VW starter in the link: https://porsche356registry.org/article/198
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Russel, first congrats on acquiring the car, next tell us where you are in the world and maybe you will find a local 356 owner who is knowledgeable enough to help you learn more about your car more quickly. I would run this test to check your electrics. Connect a jumper wire from Batt + to the +ve side of the coil and that will hot wire the ignition then try and start the car. I listened to your video and it sounded as though when you released the key the ignition shut off. Try that and report back.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Russell Rose
356 Fan

#6 Post by Russell Rose »

I added location did not notice that it didn’t automatically add it. I am in Triangle area of NC. Thanks for the feedback I will take a look.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

As David said jumper wire from B+ on voltage regulator to ve+ on coil and report back.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Russell Rose
356 Fan

#8 Post by Russell Rose »

Hey guys found one of the positive wires off of the ignition coil. The female clip had become loose and it was hiding behind the distributor. I connected it and doesn't appear to be making that noise anymore. Now I just have to get her started. Thanks for the pointers.