Blind Phone Calls

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

Blind Phone Calls

#1 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

Today I received a phone call on my land line from a number on the east coast. The caller asked me if I wanted to sell my 356. I told him no, but he left me his name and number anyway in case I change my mind.

Does anyone else get these calls? Common? It just seemed strange.

Steve

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Blind Phone Calls

#2 Post by David Jones »

Was it Mark Starr? He called me out of the blue sometime back.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

That happened to me a few years ago when a guy called from CT and wanted to buy my Austin-Healey. Probably got my name and number from the Healey membership directory. Makes sense to call to see if you can buy a car from an owner in dry AZ. Stranger yet was the guy last year who rang my doorbell and told me he wanted to buy my Porsche, today, cash. We live in a small development with only one way in or out. Didn't sell him the Porsche, but he ended up buying my wife's M-B 280SL.

Steve, he might be legit. Could also be one of the car broker or car flippers too. They've been known to make cold calls.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

M Penta
356 Fan

#4 Post by M Penta »

There are some guys looking to buy cars here at ECH too. I suspect they represent one of the popular east or west coast buyers. Nice enough guys though, not too pushy.

Stephen Dempsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Stephen Dempsey »

David, it wasn't Mark Starr.

Actually, the guy that called me seemed legit, I was just curious about how he 1) Knew I had a 356, and 2) How he got my number, and I didn't think to ask him at the time.

Steve

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Guy selling a 65 SC Cab in San Diego on eBay. His name is on the COA. I googled his name and was able to get some phone numbers and info in SD.
Same with the registry. People use there names and location, in several minutes on google you can get info, address, land line and even a cell number sometimes.

Here is the car, the auction ends today, reserve is over $50,000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-Porsche-3 ... 1438.l2649

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

M Penta wrote:There are some guys looking to buy cars here at ECH too. I suspect they represent one of the popular east or west coast buyers. Nice enough guys though, not too pushy.
Funny story about those guys, they asked one guy if he wanted to sell his car, he said no, but if you're looking for a 356, go talk to Adam. I think they mis-interpreted what he meant because they came and said they heard I wanted to sell my car. I also said no and they gave me their card, so I gave them my card, silence...

We then shared stories of telling the two large flippers to take a hike on different occasions. Nice guys.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Harry Shriver
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harry Shriver »

I got a cold call from Alexandria VA last week also on my land line.

Richard Colella
356 Fan

#9 Post by Richard Colella »

Harry, I know of a flipper and his minions in the Northen Va area. I ran across them four times, including at my buddies house in Alexandria while I was over there working on a car with him. This particular guy seems to just act as a finder between a buyer and seller. We danced around my long hood 911 until I realized what was going on. PITA.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#10 Post by Adam Wright »

Richard Colella wrote:Harry, I know of a flipper and his minions in the Northen Va area. I ran across them four times, including at my buddies house in Alexandria while I was over there working on a car with him. This particular guy seems to just act as a finder between a buyer and seller. We danced around my long hood 911 until I realized what was going on. PITA.
You'll find that 90% of these guys are not actual buyers of cars, they go around looking, taking pics and then once they find a car they start calling guys like BHCC, Gullwing, and me. But fewer call me these days because I don't do deals like that. I don't send money to someone who doesn't own a car. The only way I'll do a deal like that is I'll buy the car from the real owner and send them a finder's fee, but they usually won't do that. But what these guys tend to be for the owners of the car is a big pain in the arse, because they take a bunch of pics, try and grind you down on price again and again, and then usually still don't make a deal on the car, or they pass your name over to Mr. Beverly Hills and then he starts grinding you on price and making it out that he is doing you a big favor buying your car. This is why people like dealing with me, I don't grind, if I say I'm going to buy it I do, they're isn't 8 middle men in between the owner and me, and lastly, I'm not going to come to your house to buy one car and then call you every day after trying to buy the two cars you don't want to sell. C'MON, IT'S CASH MONEY!!!!!!!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.