Road Trip Hesitation/missing Issues

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Road Trip Hesitation/missing Issues

#16 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Glad you made it safely. Sounds like it is time to join Florida Owners Group to make contacts and find experienced 356 service in or near Naples. http://www.356fog.com/home.html
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Andrew J Moser
356 Fan

#17 Post by Andrew J Moser »

Finally got the details on what the issues were after hearing from my Dad from his Naples mechanic, he just got it back a week ago. The poor running issues were the combination of a piece of the rotor having actually broken off, and one of the plug wires was bad. Had new rotor put on, new wires, new plugs, valve adjustment, and new brake drum/pistons in the front and rear. I haven't driven it, but according to my dad, it's never run better.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Mike Wilson »

It seems to me the problem would be constant rather than when you are running low of fuel. I'd check the entire fuel system just to make sure.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#19 Post by Erik Thomas »

Reminds me of the classic stories about how when a car is not running well, the first thing folks do is fiddle with the carburettors. Instead of the ignition, which is 99% of the time the problem. Recently, the new points that are being sold have plastic rubbing blocks. these wear down very quickly. This causes the timing to advance, speeding up the idle. Then the distributor will not retard. Seek out original Bosch points with the fiber rubbing blocks. I prefer solid copper ignition wires. Yes, they can interfere with the radio sometimes, I do not care. There is also a small resistor in the top of the distributor rotor. Those can fail too. I always carry spare ignition points, condenser, and a 6V timing light in the car, just in case.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#20 Post by Wes Bender »

Think again about the worn rubbing block Erik. A worn one will cause the ignition to RETARD, not advance. This would drop the idle rpm a bit. I concur with buying only the point sets with the fiber rubbing blocks. Keep them lubed.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....