My engine blow its dip stick off

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: My engine blow its dip stick off

#31 Post by Wes Bender »

If the engine hangs the way most 356Cs are, you could probably drop a lug wrench down through the gap at the rear of the tin. At least mine is that way. I don't worry about it though. Don't know of any other likely exits without actually seeing the engine compartment. I think he should check in front of the fan shroud and see if the dipstick is down there.

It wouldn't take much effort to prove/disprove the pressurization theory. Rafik, what say you?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#32 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Put in another dipstick? Add a strand of wire long enough to make sure it doesn't pop right out and foul the pulley or belt, if it blows out. Put a loop in the wire and drive the car. See if the loop is straightened.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#33 Post by Craig Richter »

Wes, I think you've got it. I started to post something about the problems with using those restrictive little mini-filters, but the last topic about crankcase venting didn't go too well, so I forgot about it. My real thought that I didn't get a chance to share on that other topic was that Porsche thought things out pretty well back in the day, and deviating much, just because you can, rarely resulted in improvement.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#34 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, I am often surprised at how stock I like my 356- not because I am a purist, but because of how right it was as built. Oil filtration is about the only thing I would criticize. The other factor may also be that I have never been this old before.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

#35 Post by Rafik Dous »

Took it for another long drive today, everything seem to behave, so I am going to put it to bed till something else happens
Pressure at 2,500 rpm and approx 90k/hr in the pics below
Attachments
IMG_3268.jpg
IMG_3269.jpg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#36 Post by Martin Benade »

What is the squirt switch controlling?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#37 Post by Craig Richter »

Wow, that is some hot rod you've got there, Rafik.

Rafik Dous
Classifieds Moderator

#38 Post by Rafik Dous »

That’s her
Attachments
IMG_2548.jpg

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#39 Post by Jim Liberty »

DSC_0019-001.JPG
OK, I have to comment. I've had to devise a hold down device for my 595 ABARTH dip stick. It does blow off without a spring hold down. ………..Jim

PS. It is an air cooled motor in the rear of the car.
Jim Liberty

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#40 Post by Craig Richter »

All those Honda single-cylinder trail bikes I had, plus our B&S lawn mower, all had screw-in dip sticks. Must be a one-lunger thing.

M Penta
356 Fan

#41 Post by M Penta »

I agree that the filter on breather is the problem. I don,t see what advantages that set up provides.
Route the breather to air filter as designed. Slight vacuum on cc should solve your problem, and no your carb will not get oily and plugs will not foul if engine is in good shape. Venting to atmosphere through a long hose, or to a restrictive filter is not the way to go.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#42 Post by C J Murray »

Single cylinder engines are problematic due to there being no offsetting action from other pistons. Same situation with twins that have pistons moving the same direction, not opposing directions.

Under no circumstances is it a good idea functionally to vent your crankcase to your carburetor. This method was forced on car manufacturers by Government or it would never been done. If your car was originally set up that way and you want it to be "correct", fine, but that is the only excuse to puke crankcase gasses into your combustion chamber.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#43 Post by Dick Weiss »

The dipstick has a 2nd section when shaped properly keeps the stick in its tube; I've had some w/a good 'grip' to stay in place--needed a good pull to remove it, so It's hard to believe that case pressure could actually force it out! (MHO)
BTW, , there have been a couple of 'stick' tubes having a split/cracked end and its O-ring seal won't prevent a leak.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#44 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I discovered this year, that a dipstick can leak between the two blades. Finally figured out why some of our race engines were oily, and some were dry in the engine compartment. Only took 55 years.

John Clarke
356 Fan

#45 Post by John Clarke »

Craig Richter wrote:Wes, I think you've got it. I started to post something about the problems with using those restrictive little mini-filters, but the last topic about crankcase venting didn't go too well, so I forgot about it. My real thought that I didn't get a chance to share on that other topic was that Porsche thought things out pretty well back in the day, and deviating much, just because you can, rarely resulted in improvement.
Hi Craig I did enquire what happened on that other post ref crankcase ventilation, but no replies.
Cheers Jay