Engine Tech Session at ECH OC NJ

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Engine Tech Session at ECH OC NJ

#1 Post by C J Murray »

I have geared my talk to be useful to any 356 owner, not just those who build their own engines so I hope that you all consider attending. The majority of the talk will focus on making the decisions about the design of the build wether it be stock or modified and what to expect as a result of those choices. I will also cover a few of the problems encountered with some of the parts we have available to us these days. I will try to keep things moving along to keep interest levels up. I hope you can make it. Thank you.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

Re: Engine Tech Session at ECH OC NJ

#2 Post by Sean M Rooks »

We're running around a bit to have some local fun but I plan to make it to your Engine talk, Cliff! The focus sounds great. I'm prepared to take notes - I really want to build an engine for fun at some point in the near future. Goal is streetable, reliable speed.

-Sean

M Penta
356 Fan

#3 Post by M Penta »

I plan to attend, looking forward to it.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

I have just finished my power point slide show, a first for me. I am pretty good with computer stuff for an old guy but we will see. I can improvise if need be but I'm not versed in sword swallowing or juggling. Hecklers will be removed by security. Sorry to say that but I have some friends attending that have made threats!

Seriously, let's just have fun while we hopefully learn together.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

gregg hake
356 Fan

#5 Post by gregg hake »

I’m flying in from Seattle JUST for this presentation.

Just kidding...but I did plan a work trip to coincide with the ECH. My first. Can’t wait to learn some stuff.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

I apologize to those of you that came to me unhappy that they missed my talk because it was moved up an hour at the last second without notice. I am sorry that occurred but it was out of my control. Thank you to those who attended and had kind words afterwards.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

John Brooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Brooks »

CJ

Post your slides, or do it again for YouTube and post that when you get home. We need to start passing down the knowledge base to the younger kids.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Richard Ferenz
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Ferenz »

X2 for John's recommendation!

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#9 Post by Geoff Fleming »

We returned early from a Cape May tour so as to catch your tech session but found it was not to be. Would have really loved to have been there. Were these changes announced?

C J Murray
356 Fan

#10 Post by C J Murray »

Geoff Fleming wrote:We returned early from a Cape May tour so as to catch your tech session but found it was not to be. Would have really loved to have been there. Were these changes announced?
Unfortunately no.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#11 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Ditto here. I unfortunately missed your presentation CJ. I spoke with Bob after and he was in a bit of a spot, I guess, and made the best call he could.

This does make me think there could be some ways to use technology to help with these kinds of situations at future Holidays. Will speak to one of our trustees on the subject!

On the plus side, Rainer's presentation was informative and entertaining as well. Cliff it'd be great if you can find a way to share that info or presentation for us who missed it!

C J Murray
356 Fan

#12 Post by C J Murray »

Rainer should not be blamed for anything. He was barely late but Bob had already gotten into a bit of a panic and asked me to start. When Rainer showed before I had even started we both asked to keep the original schedule but that suggestion was rejected. The more I am told that people wanted to hear my presentation but missed it the more I wish this had not happened. I should have been more assertive as I thought at the time that this would be a problem because different people have different interests and do not necessarily attend all the tech sessions. They show up just in time for the ones that interest them. Again, I am sorry.

I think that for the most part the Holiday was very well organized and quite enjoyable. I do wish that I had been allowed to participate in the concours though.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#13 Post by Adam Wright »

I hadn't planned on going but I did learn a lot since I was already sitting there, my wife did wonder why it took me so long to come back to the room, I said it's was Cliff's fault, he was teaching me!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#14 Post by C J Murray »

Thank you Adam.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

M Penta
356 Fan

#15 Post by M Penta »

Bummed I missed it, I was touring down to cape may and thought I had the time wrong when I got back.
Cliff, I did not put 2+2 together when I saw your 59 sunroof on the boardwalk. It is absolutely beautiful!

I look forward to the next tech session. Its a shame time was changed but stuff happens, still a very well run event and I'm sure everyone was doing the best they could.
Last edited by M Penta on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.