Where to purchase a 6 volt Optima Battery

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

Where to purchase a 6 volt Optima Battery

#1 Post by Richard Sjolund »

My 6 volt Optima battery has lasted many years - but I need to replace it before I do my winter trip from Iowa to Arizona.

Optima says that the 6 volt battery is out of stock -- I can't find one on eBay either.

Are they still being made? Who has them?

Richard Sjolund
Richard Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
"Ruby" 1964 (September, 1963) 356 C Karmann Coupe (Ruby Red, color:6402)
On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005; July, 2018
Ford F150 4X4 (Winter Snow Plow)
2015 Audi A4 Quattro (Wife's car)

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Where to purchase a 6 volt Optima Battery

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

https://www.bigtimebattery.com/cgi-bin/ ... direct=yes

here you go Richard, see you soon at Nico's! Safe travels!!
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#4 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Jules Dielen wrote:https://www.jegs.com/i/Optima/753/9010- ... 1gQAvD_BwE

here you go Richard, see you soon at Nico's! Safe travels!!
Jules

Many thanks for the link to the battery. I am driving Ruby - my 1964 C coupe to Scottsdale starting a week from tomorrow - Oct. 20th. My wife will join me after flying down to Phoenix and we'll do the The Javelina 100 Tour with the Outlaws ... Then Ruby goes into storage and we fly home.

We'll be back in our rental home in Scottsdale on New Year's Eve - and we'll stay until the end of March. I am ready to see every one at Fourtillfour again ...

Richard

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Richard, why not save a few $ and buy the original size and type of battery from Farm and Fleet of which stores there are plenty in Iowa. 12 months free replacement and maybe Optima will make some new batteries in the meantime but as they are made in Mexico the price may be out of reach by the time they are made.
https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/0 ... ttery.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#6 Post by Richard Sjolund »

I tried to add the battery to my cart at jpegs.com -- and I got this error message:

This item is currently on backorder with no eta date from the manufacturer. You may place an order for this item on line or call 1-800-XXX-XXXX and speak with one of our technical sales representatives to discuss your best options!
(Option 2 for sales, then option 2 for a technical sales rep)

I don't think that Optima is making them anymore .... too bad

Richard

C J Murray
356 Fan

#7 Post by C J Murray »

David Jones wrote:but as they are made in Mexico the price may be out of reach by the time they are made.
Not up to date with current events?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Bob Watts
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bob Watts »

Support a Registry advertiser:

"As adv in the Registry we sell Battery Maintainers for both 6 and 12 volt. VDC units are listing at $69.95, Registry member price is 45. Have been selling these VDC units for over 10 years now with only one "comeback". Give us a whistle if we can help. Very quick, easy, and all but idiot proof to use. Best from the Blue Ridge... mick and Morgan the Wonder Dog"

Morgan currently wondering if that dead possum down over the hill will still be available to roll in later this morning..

Mick and Dawn Michelsen
Chatham Motorsports--Optima Batteries
225 N. Maple
Vinton, VA 24179
540-981-0356 (Cute Number, eh?)
540-354-6165 (cell)
chathamms@aol.com
Bob Watts

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#9 Post by Richard Sjolund »

[quote="C J Murray"]try these guys

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ult-9010-044

Here is what I got at Summit Racing:

Not Available

Richard

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#10 Post by David Jones »

Richard, exactly why I suggested the Farm and Fleet option. The farm stores all sell that 6 volt battery as it fits the old Ford tractors and they sit out in all weathers and often get infrequent use.
I doubt Optima batteries will get cheap and available for a while now that the new NAFTA agreement has been provisionally agreed too as part of the agreement was to increase pay to workers in Mexico by as much as 3 times which will affect the price of goods made down there and I assume that Optima as an automobile parts supplier will have to comply. I bought one in 2015 for $120 and it has worked faultlessly but at twice the price of the farm supply battery it is to my mind a false economy. At the time I could not find a stock lead acid battery for less than $95 and I consoled myself with the knowledge that as an AGM battery I would not have corrosion issues as it would not leak. My stock lead acid batteries all seem to last more than 5 years so I figure I can get 10 years for the price of one Optima.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

Bob Watts wrote:Support a Registry advertiser:

"As adv in the Registry we sell Battery Maintainers for both 6 and 12 volt. VDC units are listing at $69.95, Registry member price is 45. Have been selling these VDC units for over 10 years now with only one "comeback". Give us a whistle if we can help. Very quick, easy, and all but idiot proof to use. Best from the Blue Ridge... mick and Morgan the Wonder Dog"
Morgan currently wondering if that dead possum down over the hill will still be available to roll in later this morning..
Mick and Dawn Michelsen
Chatham Motorsports--Optima Batteries
225 N. Maple
Vinton, VA 24179
540-981-0356 (Cute Number, eh?)
540-354-6165 (cell)
chathamms@aol.com
Before EASY Jim retired, I bought one from him, since you got commentary free of charge, and that was the first one I needed after he offered them.
Before that, Mick (and Morgan) have gotten my biz for many years of batteries and tenders. I do not have to worry whether that tender matches that battery; Mick (or maybe Morgan) says so.
Buy your rocker box gaskets from Vic; he designed the things. Buy your batteries and tenders from Morgan (or Mick). One of them did the research and we want them to do more.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jim Neil »

Checked Autozone.com and they seem to have the Optimas available to ship.

However, after getting a couple bum Optimas quite a few years ago, I just changed to an AutoZone regular 6v battery, much cheaper, and the thing has worked fine and lasted for many years now.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

Restoration Design will be pleased by some of the remarks made here. Sales of trunk floors will improve. It has been many years since I have had to do a cleanup of a battery or surrounding area in any of my cars because I use sealed batteries. The first widespread use of sealed batteries was the Mazda Miata located in the trunk battery and then motorcycles which become very ugly when batteries "gas" and leak. You don't want a gassing battery in an inclosed trunk. You don't want a leaking battery in any location.

Regarding costs due to changing trade rules with Mexico. Nobody here knows what percentage of an Optima's cost is labor including me. It doesn't look labor intensive to me but I would guess that the cost is in the materials just as it is in modern phone batteries. Just a guess. Maybe Optima will build a manufacturing plant in the USA now?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#14 Post by Richard Sjolund »

AutoZone shows a 6 volt Optima in stock for home shipping --- I wonder how old that battery is ???

Does the term "Shelf Life" apply here?

I agree with C J Murray. Staltek in Wellman Iowa did a total rebuild of Ruby --- and sticking a box filled with acid into her "trunk" is hard for me to do now ,,,, especially if the box has little openings on the top that will leak vapors and liquids ...

Richard

James Bensko
356 Fan

#15 Post by James Bensko »

I queried an eBay seller who goes by "batterypete" as to whether Optima was ceasing production of their 6v battery. Here's his reply:
"Nope... They are still in production and will continue to be - they just fell behind ... supply chain issue i think...

Power On...
Pete"