what type radio for a 1956 coupe?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Emerson
356 Fan

Re: what type radio for a 1956 coupe?

#16 Post by Richard Emerson »

That looks nice

Now on the hunt for a K series Blaukpunkt Frankfurt. Any leads appreciated.

luc verschueren
356 Fan

#17 Post by luc verschueren »

Jules Dielen wrote:here is one i think would fit your car. no clue if it works but it would look fantastic in an unrestored 356
That's a Blaupunkt stuttgart radio

luc verschueren
356 Fan

#18 Post by luc verschueren »

Richard,

I have a working 1955/56 Blaupunkt frankfurt radio available

https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/22637

Regards Luc
Last edited by luc verschueren on Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

luc verschueren
356 Fan

#19 Post by luc verschueren »

John Linden wrote:Richard:

Chip Flor has just posted to this thread great pictures of the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio in his car. This is an example of the type Blaupunkt radio you are looking for. Chip's radio is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt and as Chip explains, it is a European model. Look closely at the picture Chip post of the power supply. There is a long cable which connects the tuner part of the radio to the power supply which mounts under the floor. Chips pictures show the power supply and its mounting location.

After thinking about your radio picture overnight, I believe I know what it is.

1) It is clearly a Blaupunkt Franfurt US band radio from the 1956 / 1957 period. The serial number likely begins with the letter K which dates it to 1956 or the letter S which dates it to 1957. Both the K & S radios have the larger square push buttons which are correct for the 1956 radios.

2) I think the 3rd band --- shown on the last push button in you picture -- is L for long wave. I think the last push button is black just like the other four push buttons. My guess is there is a reflection which caused the camera to make that last push button to look like it is a different color -- sort of a redish tint. My opinion is that last push button is black just like the other four and has the letter L on that last push button.

3) In Chip's pictures, you will see tan push buttons and tan Porsche style knobs. Those knobs match the shape and color of the knobs on the Porsche dash knobs.

4) Your picture shows black push buttons and Blaupunkt Knobs that are not specific to Porsche. As I said in my earlier response, the 1956 Blue Spot Franfurt Radio that I owned years ago had those same black push buttons and black Blaupunkt knobs exactly like those in your pictures. So keep looking if you want an exact match. Radios like that do exist.

In summary, you are looking for a 1956 Blaupunkt Frankfurt Radio with black push buttons and the letters FM FM AM AM L on the ends if it is going to exactly match your pictures. The 1st letter of the serial number will be K if made in 1956 and S if made in 1957. The radio will have a long cable and the Blaupunkt "brick " size power supply. The radios you find may have tan push buttons like those on Chip's radio.

Good Luck
John
A Blaupunkt Frankfurt US band radio from the 1956 / 1957 doesn't exist. Beginning in 1957 or 1958 Blaupunkt started producing US Frankfurt radios. All the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radios before 1957/58 are European models.

Luc

luc verschueren
356 Fan

#20 Post by luc verschueren »

Richard Emerson wrote:Here’s the radio that was in the car, now missing.

It’s the best photo I could get, by zooming in.

I had gone to Charlie White’s site earlier but didn’t see a match.
Maybe it was installed later but I don’t think so.

It was a US delivery car, but a Carrera if that matters.
Knobs are for Opel

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#21 Post by Richard Emerson »

luc verschueren wrote:Richard,

Regards Luc
I was hoping to find the US Blue Star equivalent? And with original ivory knobs?

luc verschueren
356 Fan

#22 Post by luc verschueren »

Richard Emerson wrote:
luc verschueren wrote:Richard,

Regards Luc
I was hoping to find the US Blue Star equivalent? And with original ivory knobs?
I believe this is the same radio, it have also the FM FM AM AM L pushbuttons.
But according to the description it's a 1958 radio. Sorry that the paper tag is missing, otherwise we knew what type it is.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaunkpunt-Rad ... BY&vxp=mtr

John Linden
356 Fan

#23 Post by John Linden »

Richard:

The radio Luc found on eBay is a US FM band Frankfurt but with Mercedes brown push buttons. In general, this is the radio you are looking for. The only difference is the brown push buttons vs the black push buttons on the picture of your radio. Specifically:

1) If this radio came out of a 1958 Mercedes as the seller claims, this is probably an "S" code radio. The "S" code radios were made from July 1, 1957 to June 30 1958. A new 58 Mercedes would likely have had an "S" code radio from new.

2) The coffee brown color push buttons were found on Mercedes Blaupunkt Frankfurt radios. Maybe they could be painted black. The knobs are Mercedes and the face plate is for a Mercedes, but the radio itself is what you are looking for -- a USA Frankfurt with the large push buttons.

3) Note the FM goes to about 105 which at that time was the USA FM scale.

Maybe Luc knows where to get tho knobs which were on your radio. Luc said they were Blaupunkt knobs used on an Opel. Probably more of those Opel knobs in Europe than in the US.

John Linden
Alamo, CA
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

luc verschueren
356 Fan

#24 Post by luc verschueren »

Richard,

If you need those black knobs, I have them available

Luc
Last edited by luc verschueren on Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#25 Post by Richard Emerson »

Sorry I was away

So getting that eBay radio and switching to black knobs would be appropriate for my 56?

I assume I would need to send the radio out to be cleaned? Repaired? Any mounting pieces I would need?

Thank you!