Full Flow Oil filter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

Full Flow Oil filter

#1 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Does anyone know if you get points off for having a full flow oil filter in your 65 356C?

Does it add sales value?

Also, does anyone know if the Precision Matters kit requires any drilling of the case to install? Is it done while the engine is in the car for a 356C with electric tach? My tech says: "The procedure involves some drilling/milling of the aluminum to fit a tube and o-ring, so great care must be taken to keep all the chips out of the oil system/case."

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

John Clarke
356 Fan

Re: Full Flow Oil filter

#2 Post by John Clarke »

Charles
Ron will know and answer all these questions.
Cheers Jay

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm sure Ron will chime in. The slight grinding out of aluminum in the third piece is required to get the standpipe to fit correctly. A Dremel will do it just fine. Ron provides a good template in the kit. It can be done with care while the engine is installed (I did mine that way), but it is better to do it with the third piece off of the engine.

As far as points off, that will need to be answered by someone of the concours persuasion. As far as adding value, probably not much. Maybe by an amount equal to the price of the kit The main purpose isn't to affect your concours score or to add value. The main purpose is to protect your engine from wear particles or debris in case something goes terribly wrong.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Wes Bender wrote:I'm sure Ron will chime in. The slight grinding out of aluminum in the third piece is required to get the standpipe to fit correctly. A Dremel will do it just fine. Ron provides a good template in the kit. It can be done with care while the engine is installed (I did mine that way), but it is better to do it with the third piece off of the engine.

As far as points off, that will need to be answered by someone of the concours persuasion. As far as adding value, probably not much. Maybe by an amount equal to the price of the kit The main purpose isn't to affect your concours score or to add value. The main purpose is to protect your engine from wear particles or debris in case something goes terribly wrong.
Wes:
Is yours an electric tach?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

Yes.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Gabe Renga
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gabe Renga »

Never had any points taken off. Original filter remains on car. I have not done full Concours, just street.
Gabe
2018 Targa GTS
2006 997 S
2010 Cayenne GTS
1964 C Cab

------------------------

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#7 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Thanks, Gabe.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Charles H Jacobus wrote: Does it add sales value?
Chuck
It adds value in terms of how long your engine will last as miles are racked up, since all the oil is being filtered all the time instead of a trickle going to the bypass filter through a hole the size of a ballpoint pen stylus.
If you are planning to keep the car for years, it's worth a lot. If you just want to flip it, maybe not so much.
I have this filter on both of my C coupes, the 65 with electric tach, and the 64 converted to electric tach.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Haven't shown a car in a while, but last time 'Street' class judged only from the top, so the Pre Mat Full Flow resulted in no loss (there is zero modification required other than that notch inside the oil pump cavity).
Full concourse you probably don't need a Full Flow, but if you wanted one, I guess you could take it off for shows and put the stock pump cover back on. Again, with the modifications limited to that notch, there's be no way to know a filter was there yesterday.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#10 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Ron LaDow wrote:Haven't shown a car in a while, but last time 'Street' class judged only from the top, so the Pre Mat Full Flow resulted in no loss (there is zero modification required other than that notch inside the oil pump cavity).
Full concourse you probably don't need a Full Flow, but if you wanted one, I guess you could take it off for shows and put the stock pump cover back on. Again, with the modifications limited to that notch, there's be no way to know a filter was there yesterday.
Can the engine remain in the car while you install your mod? What time does it take to put the mod on, Ron with the engine remaining in the car?

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:

Gary Cox
356 Fan

#11 Post by Gary Cox »

Chuck
The filter can be fitted to the third piece with the engine in the car. Modifying the third piece to accept the filter is straight forward. It can be done with the third piece still attached to the engine, but I would not recommend doing it that way. Easy enough to remove the third piece while the engine remains in place.
Modifying the third piece creates lots of metal shavings and filings, I just wouldn't chance having some enter the engine. In addition, I would recommend putting the oil pump gears and the pump cover/filter all together and making sure the pump operates smoothly and freely prior to fitting it back on the engine.
A half day to a day in the garage would get it all done.
Gary Cox
Baton Rouge, LA

1958 356A Speedster
1967 912 (356D)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

I have the Precision Matters full flow filters on my 1883 cc engine and on my spare 1720 cc engine. After spending considerable money having them rebuilt, I wanted to insure longevity with full filtration. The only thing to keep in mind is that the unit does hang a bit low so be aware of curb heights, etc. If that is a concern to you, then you could go with the remotely located filter assembly.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

"Can the engine remain in the car while you install your mod? What time does it take to put the mod on, Ron with the engine remaining in the car?
Chuck"
"Chuck
The filter can be fitted to the third piece with the engine in the car. Modifying the third piece to accept the filter is straight forward. It can be done with the third piece still attached to the engine, but I would not recommend doing it that way. Easy enough to remove the third piece while the engine remains in place.
Modifying the third piece creates lots of metal shavings and filings, I just wouldn't chance having some enter the engine. In addition, I would recommend putting the oil pump gears and the pump cover/filter all together and making sure the pump operates smoothly and freely prior to fitting it back on the engine. [...]Gary Cox"

Gary's covered the points, but I'll add that checking the oil pump gear rotation is required whenever you change the pump cover; Porsche got casual with the dowel placement late in the run of 616 engines.
His time suggests his muffler isn't rusted on and he knows what size wrench he needs by looking at it, but if it's off, it's not by far. "Dremeling" the notch, by actual test, took 15 minutes, including washing my hands.
--------------------------
"...The only thing to keep in mind is that the unit does hang a bit low so be aware of curb heights, etc. If that is a concern to you, then you could go with the remotely located filter assembly.
Mike"

Guilty as charged.
The design compromise balanced keeping the filter low and full of oil to aid quick pressure on start-up vs ground clearance. In what I still think is about as good as possible, it ended up ~1/8" higher than the bottoms of the two 'tabs' extending from the bottom of the cases. But since it is rear of the cases, it is possible to back into something of (naturally) just that height.
They are pretty durable, however. That 'cock's comb' structure at the rear (supporting the heat shield) is drilled to crush before there's damage to the adapter itself or the filter. And then mine got stuck holding up the back of the car when we were doing plumbing repairs at the bottom of the driveway. I looked under expecting a flow of oil. Nope; the same adapter's still on the car, 9 years later.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

chris romney
356 Fan

#14 Post by chris romney »

The full flow filter on my car came with a scrape plate which did it's job. The only problem was it also flattened the head of the screw which held it on making it difficult to remove for the next oil change. I replaced it with an allen head bolt which solved the problem. As previously mentioned you will now be filtering all the oil as opposed to some microscopic amount with the factory set up. Well worth having if you're going to keep the car.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ron LaDow »

chris romney wrote:The full flow filter on my car came with a scrape plate which did it's job. The only problem was it also flattened the head of the screw which held it on making it difficult to remove for the next oil change. I replaced it with an allen head bolt which solved the problem. As previously mentioned you will now be filtering all the oil as opposed to some microscopic amount with the factory set up. Well worth having if you're going to keep the car.
Chris, guilty as charged here also.
The part was limited to a certain number of jigs/quill orientations when it was newly designed. Tooling and jigging have changed since then, and at least two Revs back (5 years?), that screw was moved to a more forward position, thanks to those who commented on it.
If you have an earlier one, you can call and I'll stick a couple of the Kep screws in an envelope to you. Or provide new heat shield so you can drill and tap for the new location.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz