T1 oil pump help

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
J Warren
356 Fan

T1 oil pump help

#1 Post by J Warren »

Hey guys,
Please tell me this third piece is salvageable. Its off my 1957 Normal . I am starting the rebuild of my engine that has not ran in 40 years. I noticed it would not turn over with a wrench initially except with great difficulty. Once disassembled I opened the third piece and found the stub on the oil pump gear broken off. I opened the oil pump up and found that the insert was crumbling and had completely clogged the gears to the point where they would not turn at all. I removed the gears and cleaned it out but the insert is toast. Is this something I can replace. I hope so as this is the numbers matching engine. I know that the oil pump gear is toast but hope the 3rd piece is salvageable. Thank you in advance for any opinions or advice
J

P.S. If I do not answer back its because Hurricane Michael is reaching us here in Tallahassee as I write. All battened down and now hurry up and wait. Hopefully no prolonged power loss.
Attachments
IMG_0116.JPG
IMG_0115.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0111.JPG

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: T1 oil pump help

#2 Post by Jules Dielen »

J, you should be able to remove the oil pump housing from the 3rd piece. it is a separate item (much like a VW oil pump), your 3rd piece should be finem, but I'd take a close look at your cam shaft.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

J Warren
356 Fan

#3 Post by J Warren »

Thank you Jules,
I was hoping that was the answer. I am sending my cam to Cali in a few weeks to be checked out. Does anyone know of a source for one? Any chance the VW part fits?
J

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by Vic Skirmants »

No VW cam; won't fit.

J Warren
356 Fan

#5 Post by J Warren »

Vic, i apologize. I was’nt clear. I meant the oil pump housing not the cam.
Thanks again
J

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Yes, the VW pump housing will fit; but you need to figure out which one; there are several sizes for VW.

J Warren
356 Fan

#7 Post by J Warren »

Thanks Vic,
Thats some encouraging news. I appreciate the help. And if anyone knows which VW oil pump housing fits, please let me know.
Thanks again
J

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

My first 356 had a similar timing cover, but the oil pump had a flange captured by nuts and the oil pump cover to those 4 m6 studs. I do not recall (that was near 50 years ago) what VW part fitted in that application, and it doesn't look like yours is the same.
If you could clean it, it would sure help to see what's going on there. And I'm sure there's some VW-enthusiasts here abouts.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Tate
356 Fan
Tag: Boston MA

#9 Post by Tom Tate »

I do have an oil pump housing with decent gears, give me a shout if you need it.
617-428-5762