Leonard Turnbaugh Rennsport Crash

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Leonard Turnbaugh Rennsport Crash

#46 Post by Martin Benade »

I had a nice chat with Leonard today on the phone. He is currently in a hospital related to his injuries but sounded good. He said he was probably off work for a month or two but is receiving emails. His address is on his website, very small at the bottom if anyone wants to let him know we are thinking of him.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#47 Post by Glen Getchell »

I'm sorry to hear Leonard is back in the Hospital. I talked to him earlier this year (May / June) and he was still in quite a bit of pain and was pretty messed up. At that time he had somebody that would drive him a couple of times a week to his shop so he could mind the business. He told me that he was done racing, and I got the impression that his injuries were pretty sever and would possibly be life altering. I honestly don't think he was expecting a full recovery.

What I remember him telling me (and the ole memory is not what it used to be) about the accident was that another driver boxed him in for no good reason leaving him zero space. I guess it was just him and the other driver at that position on the track, and there should have been plenty of room. I got the impression that this was not a "racing" accident, but rather a complete disregard for others safety by the other driver who made a completely unwarranted move leaving Leonard zero options (I don't know who the other driver is, and am only relaying a story. I am not looking for a fight). As I remember Leonard said he ran out of room either hit the tire wall / and or ended up on top of the tire wall upside down. Since he was on a pile of tires the roll bar did not help much and his head got pushed down (or in this case up) by the tires hitting his helmet. This caused severe injuries (again, I am trying to relay from memory what he told me happened, I do not swear I have this entirely right). I do remember him saying that If he had been in a coupe rather than the open Devin he probably would not have been injured at all.

Anyway, I hope he gets out of the Hospital soon, is out of pain, and on the road to recovery.

This is a reminder to all of us that life can change in a instant. And to all of us that race (or even drive our cars on the road), it may not matter how good "you" are when you have other cars around you. And just because some one is racing a car doesn't mean they are any good at driving it. There are numerous people on this list that have been on the track for a lot longer than I have, and I am sure they can attest to that. Expect the unexpected and remember there are morons everywhere!

Glen
64Cx2

mario musto
356 Fan

#48 Post by mario musto »

Thinking good thoughts and wishing Leonard a quick return home as I'm sure the entire community is.
Warm Regards- Mario

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#49 Post by Mark Roth »

Talked to Leonard today. He is doing much better. Had an operation in Seattle that cured the pain that he had been having. Sounded very sharp and was very helpful in answering my questions about P&C sets.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#50 Post by Mike Wilson »

That's great news!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#51 Post by Wes Bender »

+1. Quality guy with quality products.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#52 Post by Mike Smith »

Very nice to hear some good news about Leornard

Great Guy and deserves the break
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Jason Laster
356 Fan

#53 Post by Jason Laster »

I had no idea that Leonard went though this. He helped me select the P&C proper for my rebuild, and gave me some good tips on rebuild. Good guy.
1963 Porsche 356B
1989 Porsche 964 Carrera 4
1962 VW 15 Window Deluxe