Cheap aluminum oil cooler option?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Cheap aluminum oil cooler option?

#16 Post by David Jones »

I applaud Eric for stepping up to check out the cooler but I will also comment on CIP1 VW. I have bought stuff from them off and on for years and I have never had occasion to send anything back. I look on them like Harbor freight. Be aware that it may not be as good as Snap On for instance but if it gets the job done then you may be ahead of the game. I bought some of their cheap 009 distributors to carry as spares and I have actually been running one in my 59 cabriolet for a couple of years with no ill effects. I do admit to modifying it before installation.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#17 Post by Vic Skirmants »

" I do admit to modifying it before installation."
What did you do?

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dick Weiss »

Viewing the photo of the "supposedly aluminum oil cooler, my beliefs are: No way to heli-arc the so-many vertical tubes--even if they were steel. The original steel coolers for Porsche were soldered, then sintered brazed to eliminate solder leaks!
Also, the shown cooler having the screen on the entry side will restrict the air flow about 50%, and aluminum studs? I don't think so!

I'd stay w/the proper oil cooler--steel or the correct aftermarket aluminum. BTW, I haven't seen them in black; Silver or aluminum.
Caution: Make sure the bottom of steel cooler(s) are flat; OR--add .010" shims on the studs to relieve any stress to the mounting pad.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#19 Post by David Jones »

In the case of the 009 from CIP1, I bought the "Hi performance version" which had a full advance curve of 41 degrees and I closed up the slot that allowed the advance mechanism that amount of movement to restrict it to the 30 degrees of the original BR18. It may lose me a little on the correct curve but not enough to make a difference in the 0 to 60 mph time.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#20 Post by Norm Miller »

C J Murray wrote:
DonCichocki wrote:Aluminum studs? Powder coated? Be careful!
+1

Aluminum studs would be questionable where vibration is great enough to actually crack an engine case.
This is a guess, I think the notation is incorrectly translated and should read, steel studs powder coated might bind and twist the stud out of the aluminum base.

No way could aluminum studs torque sufficiently to seal the cooler.

Norm
older than Zim

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#21 Post by Brad Ripley »

BTW, Al Zim shows such a VW cooler in addition to an alum version in the ZIMS website.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#22 Post by Wes Bender »

That sure looks like the same oil cooler, but Zim's makes no mention of powder coating on the studs. The original ad also shows the sealing surfaces to be powder coated too. Either the engineering specification writer wasn't too clear on what they wanted or the manufacturer cranked them out as quickly and cheaply as possible. It isn't that difficult to mask areas to be left uncoated.

Too many things potentially wrong with the product to warrant trusting my engine to its care It will be interesting to see what Eric reports on the item.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#23 Post by Martin Benade »

The ad actually only mentions aluminum fins, we will see what Eric gets when he receives it. Steel with aluminum fins seems unlikely, but could be.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

C J Murray
356 Fan

#24 Post by C J Murray »

I would love to see laboratory tests comparing all the different coolers for both cooling ability and air flow. I bet we would be surprised.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#25 Post by Vic Skirmants »

How about oil flow also?
I also wonder about the dirt/slag that might be inside the cooler.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#26 Post by C J Murray »

Yes, oil flow too. Do we really know what we are getting?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#27 Post by Brad Ripley »

Al, where are you? http://www.allzim.com/store/oil-cooler- ... b-comments is it steel or aluminum? Either way, is this VW cooler OK for 356 normal use?

GregVandenbussche
356 Fan

#28 Post by GregVandenbussche »

"twist the stud out of his socket" seems that would be easy to replace with steel ones..
Bt5 Super - used to be fjord green, was painted brass, then brown... sadness

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#29 Post by Norm Miller »

Apparently, some posters don't read the whole topic before commenting.

Eric Wills
356 Fan

#30 Post by Eric Wills »

OK folks,

It arrived. I will give a brief overview and then I have to get back to work! I think there is potential to use this part on an early 356, but I would want to cut one apart to verify construction and also how the mounting studs are attached.

Oil cooler is all aluminum. 6mm studs are slightly magnetic with some flash rust, so some grade of stainless, not aluminum.

Oil cooler body excluding caps, mount flange and screen seems to be one piece with 32 tubes. It seems as if they inserted cooling fins into each tube and then capped it. There are no TIG welds that I can see, so is some form of joining aluminum that I don't have the capability to do. The tubes are thin and easily bent, so the screen on one side is needed to keep it's structure intact.

It passed a pressure test. Might take it up over 100psi later, but 80 was no problem.

It is light. 18.5 oz.

I filled it with brake cleaner, let it sit for a bit and dumped it out on a clean paper towel. There was no evidence of anything but brake clean on the towel.

It is powder coated, but not too thick. Where there is no powder coat, the surface is etched. Not sure if this is from a chemical etch to help the powder adhere, or if they may have been media blasted. I think that the cooler would have to be cut apart to determine which is the case. My experience with media blasting thin aluminum is that the metal warps out of shape quickly, so I am guessing a chemical etch, especially since nothing came out of the cooler. A chemical dip by a machine would also probably be cheaper than blasting during the manufacturing process.

My main concerns at this point are the slight possibility of being media blasted and strength of the studs. NOTE: I am not recommending the use of this cooler until further, more detailed examination is done. But, I think it passed the initial POS test, as least in my opinion. I am willing to cut this thing apart, but it will have to be in a couple of weeks.

Please remember when you start back up with the discussion, I don't manufacture or sell these. This is just entertainment for me and the time invested is minimal.

Have fun guys!
Attachments
20181010_171721.jpg
20181010_171732.jpg
20181010_171756.jpg
20181010_172032.jpg
20181010_164638.jpg
20181010_173330.jpg
Eric Wills