solex float sealer

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

solex float sealer

#1 Post by Thomas Sottile »

almost Every one is aware of the problems with the leaking floats on the solex P11 carbs, has anyone found a sealing agent to reseal them that works

C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: solex float sealer

#2 Post by C J Murray »

If you do that it changes the weight of the float and it will still have problems.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Good 'eye', Cliff. I missed that issue.
JB Weld is gas-proof ( https://www.jbweld.com/pages/faqs ) whether is sticks to the float plastic I don't know, but if you can do tests and/or find the chem of the plastic, you can solve that problem.
The weight might not be an issue; weigh them first, remove material where it leaks (dip it in hot water; you'll know where that is), remove some material there and paste it up.
Re-weigh on completion and sand as required.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#4 Post by Thomas Sottile »

has anyone tried 3D printing them yet I know the weight is important but I think that can be overcome .

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

How critical is the weight of the float? How close is the weight tolerance of the float? Prescribed weight is 7.2 gram but that weight must allow for variables in fuel density, and float level will vary by a change in fuel density which is why there is a built in float level adjustment. If the float were a little lighter or heavier then one can compensate by adjusting float level. Obviously there is a limit but has anyone ever explored that limit? Todays fuels are more stable even between brands than in 1960 so there is not going to be as much variation so once set the float level should not change a great deal and who ever checks float levels once set unless faced with a carb problem. Maybe some experimentation is on the schedule for this winter.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715