Interior rear quarter panel installation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

Interior rear quarter panel installation

#1 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Some questions about interior panel installation in my '62 B T6 coupe:

I'm installing new interior panels from K&H and am puzzling over the correct positioning of the rear quarter panels. Does anyone have a photo of the lock post/B pillar showing the intersection of the rear garnish rail, quarter panel and door seal (on body)? And/or a photo during installation showing the position of the cardboard backing relative to the lock post and quarter window?

Does the top edge of the panel run flush with the metal tabs on the body towards the rear? I've read where some have used clips to secure the panel to these tabs. Is that a good reference point for the top of the panel?

I'm thinking the panel top edge tucks up tight under the garnish rail and the front vertical edge butts against metal flange on the lock post. But I'm unclear about the exposed edge of vinyl at the top where it wraps around the B pillar and glues into the door channel. Is any of this area exposed once the garnish rail and door seal is installed? Should the vinyl be folded over and glued to provide a more finished edge?

Also, is the rear firewall interior panel all that secures the "tails" at the rear end of the garnish rails? They look like they should tuck into the little pockets beneath the rear window but aren't quite long enough. It the tight fit of the rear panel enough to keep those tails from floating up or down?

Any assistance is appreciated!
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Interior rear quarter panel installation

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Here is a link showing rear firewall panel on my car. In order for the garnish rails to be "correct length" you need to make sure that you have the 1/2 inch thick Jute or similar in place. http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... rear+panel Yours will differ slightly as mine is a C and your B will have the heater loop for demisting the rear window. The garnish rail is held in place by a screw that goes through the B pillar into the garnish rail and is hidden once the door weather stripping is installed. And here is a picture of what happens with that tab on the rear of the garnish rail if you don't space the rear panel out the 1/2 inch
Attachments
rear defrosterheadliner hole for attaching plastic cover.jpg
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Sat May 13, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#3 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Thanks Doug. I was worried about just that. I have the old jute but debated whether to use it. I'll be sure and use something of suitable thickness.

Still wondering about proper positioning of the quarter panels themselves.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I found 1/4 inch thick Jute at a local interior shop and using my ratty old piece glued together 2 pieces to make a new 1/2 thick piece. The top of the rear quarter fiberboard goes just about up to the lip of the metal pieces that hold the garnish rail if I remember correctly. And positioned so that the round hole at the rear is centered where the seatbelt shoulder harness attachment is on my C
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And here is a discussion of "clips" at the top of the panel. I never found them on my original side panels: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=45612&hilit=side+panel+clips

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Those look similar to the clips used to hold the headliner around the quarter windows.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

But much larger.