62 only fuel tank/sender

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Terry Gaudet
356 Fan

62 only fuel tank/sender

#1 Post by Terry Gaudet »

Hi there,

Well this is my first of many posts in this forum. Thanks for having me.

So I bought a 62 356 recently. Just got around to putting it up on the hoist to check the usual maintenance stuff after driving it 900 miles back home.

I noticed some fuel weeping from the bottom mounted fuel sender. I had never seen one before. So from what I understand, this is 1962 only? Is the gasket the same? Does the fuel guage work with this and later senders? Where can I find parts like a sender/guage if these ever break someday? I tried a few parts vendor sites but I can't seem to find the 62 only items.
Terry Gaudet
Memramcook, New Brunswick, Canada

1962 356 S90 Convertible

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: 62 only fuel tank/sender

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Keep a close eye on eBay,TheSamba.com and the Classifieds and you might get lucky eventually. Adam at Unobtanium and swap meets also. Old threads mention that EMPI VW type 2 sender might work also. Does your sender attach by 5 studs? If so this gasket might work: https://www.jbugs.com/product/98-2037.html There are a few 62 owners active here including Edwin Ek who is restoring one. Perhaps they will chime in. I THINK but am not sure that the same gasket was used for top and bottom senders: https://www.stoddard.com/64420189100-nla20189100.html Note that the holes are not even and gasket and sender orient one way only so you can't install it wrong. Those German engineers thought of almost everything
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Yes, the bottom mounted sending unit was introduced with the first T-6 series cars, in 1962. Even when new, owners questioned why the factory would put a hole on the bottom of the tank. Not Porsche's greatest ideas! It was soon withdrawn and the top mounted unit used.
My first 356 was an early '62 and I later changed the entire tank to a later one in order to overcome any problems. Parts for the early units are still available but must be sought out.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

There are sources for new senders. Stoddard and 356Devotion and possibly Klasse 356 and Sierra Madre.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#5 Post by Edwin Ek »

Doug, thanks for the mention. I had a NOS sender to use, so I didn't do any research. I didn't ask my mechanic about the gasket, but he didn't mention anything about it being hard to find. So my guess is that it is the same.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And Welcome to the Registry and congratulations on getting your 62 B. The combo gauge for 62 is unique also with a red R showing when you might need to turn to reserve. Senders/Gauges often have to be calibrated to each other by one of our Vendors for VDO Gauges.
Attachments
62 Combo gauge
62 Combo gauge
bottom sender gauge.jpg (38.04 KiB) Viewed 774 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#7 Post by Norm Miller »

For what it's worth VW uses the same gasket and the last one I got was neoprene, not cork.

Don Bell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Don Bell »

I am not sure if this thread is still active but I have the bottom of the tank mount fuel sender problem on my 1962 356B T6 coupe( June manufacture) and its not working so I pulled it out. So now the tank is drained and there is an open hole that I need to put something in and get the car back on the road. And need to find a gasket of course.

My bottom mount fuel sender is pretty much full of goop and corrosion and I am looking for a new one if possible. Does anyone know of a source for rebuilding the unit, or a source for a new or a replacement one. I have heard of using a top mount( mounted on the top of course) , or a Beck unit(?). Any help for a good solution would be appreciated.
Don Bell
1962B T6

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Maybe a VW Type IV sender but would need to be recalibrated.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#10 Post by Joris Koning »

I have a NOS sender if someone is really in a bind
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

I would look inside the tank and see how rusty it is. Perhaps it is time for a new tank. If so it would not hurt to coat the inside with gas tank sealer. Take extra care to make sure a heavy coating is in the dimple for the fuel petcock. You will have to change your fuel gauge but they should be readily available since they were all the same from 1963. I would also replace all the rubber hoses with BMW fuel injection hose which is what we do here.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Don Bell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Don Bell »

I found a new VDO replacement unit for the fuel tank bottom sender at 356 Devotion . I bought the last VDO one they say. I am not sure if it will work or what the resistance range is but hopefully it will work.
They have 2 more of different bottom senders made in Brazil there but they said there may be issues with those .
Thanks for the comments and help.
Don Bell

gregg hake
356 Fan

#13 Post by gregg hake »

I just went through this with my 62. I got a replacement rubber gasket from NAPA because the VW sender is identicle in size. Also, I learned VW's use VDO senders with the same resistance as the 62 Porsches...0 to 90 ohms, so I assume they are interchangeable. The usual Porsche parts vendors will charge you 250 for a replacement (as opposed to the 60 dollar top mount). Not sure if the VW VDO guages are exactly the same, but they look like it on the JBugs site.
I assume the gauges have to be adjusted for the 62 years as the other years top sender types are 10 ohms to 180 ohms, I think.
If you can save yours, do it. They are very simple...remove the small nut on the bottom, remove the outer cylinder, and see if the wire is still intact and if the float is still "floaty" ! My sender had a loose connector and I JB welded it and made it work perfect.

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#14 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Gregg
I know from personal first hand experience (Bimota motorcycle) that JB Weld is quite soluble in gasoline. If your repair is inside the tank, you’re in for a re-do soon.
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

gregg hake
356 Fan

#15 Post by gregg hake »

Hi

"I know from personal first hand experience (Bimota motorcycle) that JB Weld is quite soluble in gasoline. If your repair is inside the tank, you’re in for a re-do soon."

Repair is outside. The nut and the female bullet are normally held secure by what appears to be a clear epoxy. Mine was loose (slightly) so I made sure the nuts were tight and then JB welded it to secure the whole thing. Unless a new leak forms, I assume I will be OK, but thanks for the warning.