Registry Reunion Disappointment

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Felix Macaluso
356 Fan

Registry Reunion Disappointment

#1 Post by Felix Macaluso »

Well, Registry Reunion 2018 has happened. I think it was a wonderful experience for the hundreds of members and guests who attended. The kick the tires approach to parking worked well. To the volunteers (some of whom spent a good portion of the day helping at sign-in or at the street or on the grass, many thanks. Without you the event would not have worked.

So why do I mention a disappointment? Jim Liberty called in a lot of favors to get sponsorship money for the reunion. We used that money to order food, mementos, the tent and supplies based upon the registration figures that members sent me. I did not ask for a meal deposit and only asked for a timely cancellation so folks on a waiting list could make use of a meal and drinks. Now that it's over I find we have 40 envelopes representing 60 meals and drinks that were not picked up. We ended up with a lot of cooked food that was not eaten and this waste bothers me enough to write.

Jim and I agreed to a no cost, no deposit event based upon the one we did three years ago. At that time each registrant sent in a meal deposit that I returned when they picked up their ticket envelope. The response was so good I dropped that requirement; I didn't want to write over 200 return checks. In retrospect that was a mistake. Unless a person has some monetary incentive to attend it's all too easy to let something else take presence. So we learn and if/when the third Registry Reunion is planned I strongly advise going back to the original idea.

I want to end my rant on a good note since I was overjoyed to see so many friends from around the world who came, ate, drank and just had a good time. The reunion was well worth the effort.
Felix

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

Re: Registry Reunion Disappointment

#2 Post by Jay Wiener »

Sad and such a waste. Sadly, nobody's word is worth anything anymore. You need to "pay to play...."
Edited by moderator - Please refer to the forum rules above - Discussing politics or making political statements prohibited

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Epperly »

Jay Wiener wrote:Sad and such a waste. Sadly, nobody's word is worth anything anymore. You need to "pay to play...." removed by moderator
Don't be that guy who always has to add a political comment when it is completely unnecessary.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

I came over from Rennsport, did not sign up since it was closed when I found it on the club calendar. I thought it was a great gathering, several very rare cars and great people. Although I came very early to help Diane set up the goodie store. I would have stayed longer, if I had known there were going to be no shows. I signed in but at 09:00 there appeared to be no room for extras, or late comers.
Jim had a great event.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

"Registry Reunion 2018 has happened..."
Felix, I looked and didn't see from where you post. Where was it held? I also don't recall ever reading about this event.
I check here at least daily; perhaps the 'announcements' weren't as effective as you hoped.
I hope a good time was had by all, but...
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#6 Post by Greg Scallon »

Felix, I understand your disappointment, especially after putting so much time into the event, but I have to say that I think your example is just about the only type of disappointment anyone could have found with the event. Perfect location, perfect weather, perfect cars, great people, tasty food, etc. As far as could be discerned from my vantage point, it couldn't have gone much better. 1000 thank yous to you, Jim and all the other hard-working volunteers who put it on. My brother and I had an absolutely wonderful time.

Regards,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Felix Macaluso
356 Fan

#7 Post by Felix Macaluso »

Ron LaDow wrote:
"Felix, I looked and didn't see from where you post. Where was it held? I also don't recall ever reading about this event.
I check here at least daily; perhaps the 'announcements' weren't as effective as you hoped.
I hope a good time was had by all, but... "

I really should let Gordon Maltby answer this since he kindly did the advertising. I do know the reunion was advertised in a couple of issuses of the magazine along with the registration form and in at least one email blast to the entire membership.
Felix

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#8 Post by Jim Liberty »

Ron, you must be living on the moon. The web site and magazine have been advertising the event for months. As to the political commentary, please do not mention H. C. on anything I am involved with...Quite frankly, I had a great time, and my only disappointment, is the wasted food. Too many people in the area could use a warm meal. It was pre-paid, and to waste it is a travesty.

Thank you all that showed up. It made my day to see you all. …………………………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

We learned this the hard way too, that's why we now do a food truck at our events, we only pay for what gets eaten and people can order whatever they want, they don't have to make up their minds before hand. Also, if someone wants to double up on lunch they can, we don't judge.
Attachments
19.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#10 Post by Curt Dansby »

While a food truck may be a good idea for various other functions the food vendor in the space available for this event is specifically limited to the Jaycees. Jim Felix and Jeannie put in a tremendous amount of work leading up to and through this event. From my perspective and the responses I received it was a success. I simply believe Felix is frustrated in the fact that some people did not feel the need to let us know their plans had changed.

Curt

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

Many years ago I used to host large technical seminars for automotive repair shop owners where we also served dinner. Everything was free to them paid for by myself or a parts manufacturer. Sadly we had to get a cash deposit from them in order to assure that they would actually attend. Otherwise our attendance fell short and we looked like fools in front of our manufacturer partners. Those customers who attended were handed back their cash deposit and only rarely did anyone not show up. It is sad that it had to be handled that way.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bruce Smith »

Kudos to Felix, Jim and everyone else involved! Thanks so much for organizing the event. I attended this year and enjoyed every minute. As with the 2015 gathering, great food, drink and what seemed to be a big turnout. Only wish I could have brought a car but the 2500 mile drive will need to wait until retirement. Too bad about the no-shows.

Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Smith

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#13 Post by Mike Wilson »

Felix: a huge thanks to you and everyone that worked on the Registry Reunion. It was a lot if fun seeing old friends and meeting new ones. The food was great and I hope the Jaycees were able to donate the left overs to a deserving group.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#14 Post by Larry Brooks »

Damn.

I wish I'd known. A friend and I were at Rennsport and talked to a friend about going over, but another friend told us that it had sold out early so we didn't take the chance of driving over only to be turned away. Now I'm sorry that the four of us hadn't tried to get in.

Skid Hall
356 Fan

#15 Post by Skid Hall »

Felix and all involved. It was a delightful event, we had relatives from Michigan with us (ordered 4 meals and loved them) and as before it was a fun casual event. Relaxing after the great but crazy madhouse at the track. Sorry about the no-shows and the food - but maybe that was why I got to have an extra chocolate chip cookie ! So I did my part to resolve the extra food issue ... thanks all for the effort