Zenith 32NDIX Reassembly Problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Sam M. Shiver
356 Fan

Zenith 32NDIX Reassembly Problem

#1 Post by Sam M. Shiver »

I can't get the carb top to fit back down onto the body - the accelerator pump seems to hit a hard stop before the surfaces meet. I did not remove the pump from its linkage; just removed the top and cleaned jets etc. Is there a technique I'm not aware of?
Sam Shiver
1964 Champagne Yellow 356C coupe
Marshall, North Carolina

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Zenith 32NDIX Reassembly Problem

#2 Post by David Jones »

Sam, be sure that the lever arm is all the way back into the recess in the carb top before putting the acell pump diaphragm back into the reservoir port. The diaphragm should also be free to compress the spring and move on the rod. It is possible it can jam on the shaft.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Sam M. Shiver
356 Fan

#3 Post by Sam M. Shiver »

Thanks David. I've been careful to keep the lever arm in the top of the recess. Re the springs: the large spring is around the shaft, and compresses the pump. Then there is a small spring is below the diaphragm.
When I insert the acell pump back into the reservoir, looking at the pump shaft from the bottom up, the sequence is 1) brass bottom of the acell pump, then 2) the small spring around the acell pump shaft, then 3) the diaphragm, with the skirt up. The small spring isn't securing anything, it just sits around the shaft of the acell pump. Does that sound correct?
Sam Shiver
Marshall, North Carolina

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

A picture would help Sam but if you did not disassemble the pump then it obviously should just fit back in to the reservoir. I cannot think of any reason other than those I outlined that would cause it to just stop. Here is a link to the Stoddard picture of the accelerator pump. Sounds like yours looks like this. The diaphragm part should have the skirt down as in the picture. Refer to the workshop manual for an excellent description and drawings of the assembly.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Sam M. Shiver
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sam M. Shiver »

No link, but I have a Stoddard catalog. My workshop manual is a reprint, and the illustrations are not the best.
I'll send you a photo to your email, which I still have from a previous discussion.
Sam Shiver
Marshall, North Carolina

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Sam,
The bend at the top of the piston rod fits only one way, not the other. If it is fitted the wrong way, it will keep the top from fitting.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Sam M. Shiver
356 Fan

#7 Post by Sam M. Shiver »

Thanks all. After two days of listening to me grumble about this problem, my wife asked if she could help. Three minutes later, she had it fitting perfectly. Her solution? "I just wiggled it a little." What a woman!
Sam Shiver
Marshall, North Carolina

Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

#8 Post by Harold Singh »

Sam M. Shiver wrote:Thanks all. After two days of listening to me grumble about this problem, my wife asked if she could help. Three minutes later, she had it fitting perfectly. Her solution? "I just wiggled it a little." What a woman!
Awesome!
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Sam M. Shiver
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sam M. Shiver »

Yep. Sorry guys, she doesn't have a sister...
Sam Shiver
Marshall, North Carolina