A lot of 356 for sale

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steven Murray
356 Fan

What do these $100k buyer look like and want from ownership?

#31 Post by Steven Murray »

I'm curious to learn what type of person is buying at these prices, and keeping the prices up. So you dealers - who is buying? I figure it's the Europeans. They were poor when these cars were made but are rich now. They are probably not distracted by 60's muscle cars as their roads are still narrow and gas is still a fortune. Maybe they see Detroit V8's as crude, so no $ competition from that market segment . How old are these buyers? I'm often wrong but I can't see these prices hold if it's dependent on USA buyers. I'm waiting for prices to drop in half or less hoping for a run to the exit by old owners, but by then I'll probably also be to old, or by then intent on selling the 8 cars I already have. Apples and Oranges but for now I get great motion pleasure from a racing bike (i.e. cycle, with pedals) . So if 356's once went for $15K they might again, or maybe $30K. What does today's $100k buyer look like? For some new buyers at high prices - I suspect it might just be a status symbol or trophy.
Last edited by Steven Murray on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: A lot of 356 for sale

#32 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I have helped 2 new members buy their 1st 356 in the last few months. One bought a very nice 63 S90. The other bought a nice 2 owner 64C with 84K original miles. Both very nice cars bought for the mid 70s. In all I have helped four buy their 1st 356 in the last 4 years.Special mention to the buyer of Janis Joplin's 356 a few years ago and recently Dean Jeffries car, neither of which I had anything to do with. Also bought by Americans. All live in the USA. Can't blame the Europeans for all sales. But Hey I am not a dealer so who knows maybe you are correct Steven
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#33 Post by Norm Miller »

Jim Liberty wrote:CJ. I was ALWAYS a very good boy. ……………...Jim.
Jim, do you let your son drive your 356's?
So far my daughters haven't and they are north of 50.
I never figured a proper penalty for damages.

Norm

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

Norm Miller wrote:
Jim Liberty wrote:CJ. I was ALWAYS a very good boy. ……………...Jim.
Jim, do you let your son drive your 356's?
So far my daughters haven't and they are north of 50.
I never figured a proper penalty for damages.

Norm
Avi has been asking for a couple of years now, I told her when she can reach the pedals we can talk....
Attachments
avi-driving2-1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#35 Post by Al Zim »

I have 2 356 cars for sale, unfortunately I updated them with newer engines and transmissions it was a cheap thing to do at the time. Oh well! My point is that people are looking at "done" cars in the 60+K range. The bottom line is that you cannot restore a car (even if it is not rusty) For the cost of a NEVER rusty car with low mileage. When this realization comes home, the nice car will be in demand. al zim 18/10/04
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Charles H Jacobus
356 Fan

#36 Post by Charles H Jacobus »

Bruce Edge wrote:Thanks Adam,
Now that I know my cars are not worth as much as last year, I will start driving them more.

Bruce Edge
56 A coupe
62 B Karman notchback
Actually, Hagarty values your A going up and the 62 coupes going up also. I suspect your notchback would be the same.

Chuck
Current:
2012 Silver 991
1995 Midnight blue 993
1965 Red 356C

Past:
Fond memories of 14 others (including a '63 Normal and a 61 S90) :)

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#37 Post by Steven Murray »

/quote
Actually, Hagarty values your A going up and the 62 coupes going up also. I suspect your notchback would be the same.

Chuck/quote
In June Hagerty said this about these years 356 and values (going down)

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... -bottom-25

I just checked a 1958A and it seems flat on their chart through to now.

There are plenty of folks with 5, 10, 20, 350 million sitting in the bank so it eats away at them, what do i buy? - yacht, plane, sports car. Poor guys are tormented on how to spend all that money. If the prices were low, they just wouldn't want a 356. Of course I have no idea if 'these' folks make up 2% or 25% of the market. The nostalgia effect must be sinking, folks that dreamed of these in High school are dead, already have one, have bad backs and can't get into the seats or are selling cars to move into condo with 1 garage.

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#38 Post by Bruce Smith »

Steven Murray wrote:
There are plenty of folks with 5, 10, 20, 350 million sitting in the bank so it eats away at them, what do i buy? - yacht, plane, sports car. Poor guys are tormented on how to spend all that money. If the prices were low, they just wouldn't want a 356. Of course I have no idea if 'these' folks make up 2% or 25% of the market. The nostalgia effect must be sinking, folks that dreamed of these in High school are dead, already have one, have bad backs and can't get into the seats or are selling cars to move into condo with 1 garage.
Maybe. But the appeal of a 356 goes far beyond nostalgia. The market for old British cars is dying because no one younger than the youngest Baby Boomer really wants them. But take your 356 out in a crowd and who does it attract? Everyone. And good old drivers can get more attention than a restored car. An old Porsche will always have a market.
Bruce Smith

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#39 Post by Dan Epperly »

Bruce Smith wrote:
Steven Murray wrote:
Maybe. But the appeal of a 356 goes far beyond nostalgia. The market for old British cars is dying because no one younger than the youngest Baby Boomer really wants them. But take your 356 out in a crowd and who does it attract? Everyone. And good old drivers can get more attention than a restored car. An old Porsche will always have a market.
I teach middle school and park my 356s right outside my classroom so the kids see them all the time. They love them.
Even my neighbor who is no car guy like at least my shiny 356.
Good design never gets old.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#40 Post by Adam Wright »

Dan Epperly wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
Steven Murray wrote:
I teach middle school and park my 356s right outside my classroom so the kids see them all the time. They love them.
I sell to lots of guys in the their 20's and 30's, and get calls from lots of guy's in that age bracket who are saving their coin. I think the 356 will stay visable and will be viable for the average guy to buy one for the forseeable future. What you aren't going to see anymore are the super rare cars, Carrera's, Speedsters, etc, those cars are going into collections that rarely see the light of day. That's a shame.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#41 Post by Dan Epperly »

Adam Wright wrote:
Dan Epperly wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
Steven Murray wrote:
I sell to lots of guys in the their 20's and 30's, and get calls from lots of guy's in that age bracket who are saving their coin. I think the 356 will stay visable and will be viable for the average guy to buy one for the forseeable future. What you aren't going to see anymore are the super rare cars, Carrera's, Speedsters, etc, those cars are going into collections that rarely see the light of day. That's a shame.
You mean part of some guys garage diorama complete with checkered floor and vintage gas pumps?
My 21 year old sons Buick can't pass smog so he's been using my B coupe to drive to college. He used to be all about Split buses but now he loves the B coupe.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#42 Post by Steven Murray »

Bruce Smith wrote:
Steven Murray wrote:
There are plenty of folks with 5, 10, 20, 350 million sitting in the bank ....
Don't tell me this 59 MGA that sold on BAT for only $12K isn't 70% as cute as a 356 cab - but a cab in similar condition is $100K, 150K?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-mg-mga-16/

With the fun/$ of the MGA , I'm a bit mystified with the 356 pricing. This MGA even has side curtains - Speedster like. Actually you can buy this MGA for just what the sales tax would cost on a 356 cab.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#43 Post by Adam Wright »

Steven Murray wrote:
Bruce Smith wrote:
Steven Murray wrote:
There are plenty of folks with 5, 10, 20, 350 million sitting in the bank ....
Don't tell me this 59 MGA that sold on BAT for only $12K isn't 70% as cute as a 356 cab - but a cab in similar condition is $100K, 150K?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1959-mg-mga-16/

With the fun/$ of the MGA , I'm a bit mystified with the 356 pricing. This MGA even has side curtains - Speedster like. Actually you can buy this MGA for just what the sales tax would cost on a 356 cab.
S-
I'm saying this in all seriousness, you should really look outside the 356 world. If you are able to equate an MGA to a 356 cab in your mind than you can easily wrap your head around how much fun a car like this could be.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2211323

For around $10,000 you can get one heck of a piece of German fun, and you'll have the same wind in your hair as you would have in a 356, but you would have wind in your hair, not wishing for wind, but real wind. 356 prices may see another correction in the coming days, but they are never going to get to the levels you're hoping for. I hope you can find a car that will bring you happiness.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#44 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam Wright wrote: S-
I'm saying this in all seriousness, you should really look outside the 356 world.
I find that a little saddening, as it means prices may limit new additions to our club, but it might be the right advice depending on Steven's goals.

If you want a beautiful, show-worthy, concours-quality German cabriolet - I'd look at an early Ghia. You'd get a lot of the looks, attention, and fun you'd get with a 356. If you're OK with a coupe I'd look hard at early Beetles.

If you just must have a 356 and aren't hung up on having a perfect car and can live with a coupe, they're still out there for reasonable money. Adam's right - the old days of deciding between a new Honda Accord or a 356 for the same prices are gone. But it's completely possible to find one for under 60, or even less. Especially if you look at T5 or T6 B coupes. This car sold this year - sure you'd put money in it fixing some things but you can do it yourself and over time: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960- ... -t5-coupe/

If it's the Porsche brand you want to be a part of, the options open up quite a lot for cheap fun. 914, 924, 928, 944, 986, 996...

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#45 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Sean Some people just want one at the prices they sold for 10 years ago. I sold my 65 C Outlaw with 912 1720 engine earlier this year. Solid and fun driving. Floors and longs replaced in the past and solid. Trans rebuilt by Eric Wills and the 912 was healthy. Sale included the bumpers. Yes there was some Bondo in it but I think buyer got a decent driver for less than 45K. nd it's not like it sold in a day-it took a few months.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.