A lot of 356 for sale

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: A lot of 356 for sale

#16 Post by C J Murray »

BaT had an SC with add on sunroof, some rust bubbles and other paint issues do a no sale at $85k today. Any comments on that?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#17 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Looking forward to seeing yours on BAT Jim. Tired of looking at the severe case of "Gaposis" on the 60 they have now.
If it's the yellow one with the GT tank that one's been around a while. I think it was $80-ish on thesamba.com recently? The gaps aren't far off from mine, which are sub par at best. Some of us sacrifice perfection (or even "good"!) for an entry price that we can afford.

The value of our cars are still quite high relative to where they were even 4 or 5 years ago, so I find the discussion of the softening market kind of amusing. I paid $37,000 for my car back in 2014. It has poor gaps, incorrectly installed non-original floors, a non-factory color, it had a crappy 70s vinyl interior when I got it, but a freshly rebuilt 1720 engine. Today I guess it's maybe $45K or $50K on its best day, mostly because I haven't seen a 356 sell for less than that in a very long time. For most people, that's a ton of money for a second car. Those folks wonder why they should buy a 356 when they could get a used 997 and drive it every day.

Vic's original floor C coupe sold for 6 figures, people! That was an $18,000 car 15 years ago.

Can't wait to take my car to the ECH this year and hear from the old timers how bad my gaps are. :(

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I hear you Sean. That is why I did a complete restoration as my retirement project. Fulfilling a dream since the 70's of having a 356 with nothing wrong. All my previous 356s were drivers with some sort of issues. I did finally sell my Winter project Outlaw this year. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=42619. Developing a bad back limits one's ability to work on a Project car.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#19 Post by Sean M Rooks »

C J Murray wrote:BaT had an SC with add on sunroof, some rust bubbles and other paint issues do a no sale at $85k today. Any comments on that?
Felt like right on to me in today's market.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#20 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I am watching the yellow 60 as the seller has more RNM than sales. I predicted RNM auction but was flagged. 1st time for everything I guess. The problem with the sunroof car is that sunroof not mentioned on COA or Kardex even though Jim B thought it was probably factory.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#21 Post by C J Murray »

I felt that $85k was right. It was a nice car but not great. The sunroof adds no value unless it is factory installed and the car needs paint and at least somebody could straighten the bumper mounting.

The slate grey car they sold not long ago for $110k or so seemed way overpriced. It just wasn't that nice.

What really surprises me is that anybody could pay these amounts of money for a car that they have not inspected. Would you guys do that? I guess this is a result of everybody buying clothes and sneakers on Amazon. The problem with buying a 356 that way is that you can't return it when it doesn't fit you.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

C J Murray
356 Fan

#22 Post by C J Murray »

Jim Liberty wrote:I set the reserve where I wanted it. Howard Swig knows me, and my cars, and hopefully the buyers will too. I'd sell it to my mother. …………..Jim.
I am guessing that your mother is not in a position to complain. :P
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#23 Post by Sean M Rooks »

C J Murray wrote:I felt that $85k was right. It was a nice car but not great. The sunroof adds no value unless it is factory installed and the car needs paint and at least somebody could straighten the bumper mounting.

The slate grey car they sold not long ago for $110k or so seemed way overpriced. It just wasn't that nice.

What really surprises me is that anybody could pay these amounts of money for a car that they have not inspected. Would you guys do that? I guess this is a result of everybody buying clothes and sneakers on Amazon. The problem with buying a 356 that way is that you can't return it when it doesn't fit you.
I went back and looked at some recent sales - there was a very tired slate gray C that went for $73,000. High IMO But it struck a chord with a lot of commenters who praised it for its patina. It was numbers matching which seems to still matter to bidders.

I bought my C coupe on Ebay, but flew to Tennessee to inspect and drive it in person. I was the high bidder on (and subsequently bought) a RNM Lancia Delta Integrale from BaT a couple months ago. But I flew out to Calgary to look at it in person and drove it home. I was ready to buy w/out seeing it. I can't seem to buy low - I always seem to pay appropriately for the condition. I guess that's better than overpaying!

Depending on the desirability of the car, the current going price, and the documentation in photos and otherwise, I'd buy one without seeing it in person.

Oh, and Jim's car just hit the site: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963- ... 0-coupe-2/

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#24 Post by Doug McDonnell »

As Jim Liberty always says "Buy the Seller not the car." At least I think it is Jim that says that. The only BAT car I have bought was a limited edition model 1988 924 SE. The US version of Europe's 924 LeMans Edition.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#25 Post by George Hussey »

one of the good things is that as the prices have soared more people were encouraged to restore the cars, so we actually have a greater supply of cars out there, which makes me very happy.
George Hussey

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#26 Post by Jim Liberty »

You're right CJ. However she was a 356er. I have a picture of her on my desk next to her Speedster in 1958. She would not let me drive it. Can you believe a mother would do that to her son.

………………………………………………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

C J Murray
356 Fan

#27 Post by C J Murray »

My father wouldn't let me drive his 1967 911S either. I had to buy it from him for the trade-in amount he was offered on his next car in 1974. Maybe he was right though. In 1969 I wrapped my 64 C coupe around a tree and totaled it. He had set up the loan at the bank for the car which I paid by working very hard. The problem was that I was just not ready for a car like that at age 17. I think your mother was smart.

By 1972 when I bought my 62 Super coupe I had learned from my previous stupidity. The car was from OK with no rust so I restored it, paint, engine, interior, and sold it to a Villanova Law professor when I needed money for the 911S. Fortunately my skill level was improved by the time I got the evil temptress 911S. Your mother must have loved you.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#28 Post by Jim Liberty »

CJ. I was ALWAYS a very good boy. ……………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

travisthompson
356 Fan

#29 Post by travisthompson »

As far as prices go I see the point to buy the best you can upfront but all I can say is there's no way I could buy a car for $80k. Financing a car at 80... I'd cringe at the interest every month and trying to pay extra to get ahead in the principal! Plus the sales tax in WA state.

For me, an average blue collar guy, the only way I could buy a 356 was to buy one in non-running rough shape, lots of steel replacing, rebuild everything, and yes, still expensive. Over time I am doing what I can in my garage and paying a shop when I can afford to. I do like learning all this stuff but yeah it would be nice to drive the thing. I'm 39, hopefully it won't be a retirement project!!
'62 S90 coupe, black
'87 911 coupe, guards red

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#30 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Travis you are doing exactly what I did. But I did it as a retirement project and spread the cost out over 5 years. Of course I did it to say I had done it and to have a 356 with everything done. My 4 previous 356s were all drivers with various flaws. And I was lucky enough to have bought my 65 C as a unfinished project car(due to death of owner) when you could buy a decent but unrestored C in pieces/parts for 8K.When I started I assumed I would be upside down on it when done but got lucky and prices took off. The great part of what you are doing is that you will learn lots of things and know your car inside out. Who knows, maybe when you retire you will become the next Jim Liberty and do one car a year.