A lot of 356 for sale

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: A lot of 356 for sale

#46 Post by C J Murray »

I do like Karmann Ghias. Then again, I like Brit cars too. Don't forget about Alfas. They're all good!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#47 Post by Adam Wright »

Sean M Rooks wrote:
Adam Wright wrote: S-
I'm saying this in all seriousness, you should really look outside the 356 world.
I find that a little saddening, as it means prices may limit new additions to our club, but it might be the right advice depending on Steven's goals.

If you want a beautiful, show-worthy, concours-quality German cabriolet - I'd look at an early Ghia. You'd get a lot of the looks, attention, and fun you'd get with a 356. If you're OK with a coupe I'd look hard at early Beetles.

If you just must have a 356 and aren't hung up on having a perfect car and can live with a coupe, they're still out there for reasonable money. Adam's right - the old days of deciding between a new Honda Accord or a 356 for the same prices are gone. But it's completely possible to find one for under 60, or even less. Especially if you look at T5 or T6 B coupes. This car sold this year - sure you'd put money in it fixing some things but you can do it yourself and over time: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960- ... -t5-coupe/

If it's the Porsche brand you want to be a part of, the options open up quite a lot for cheap fun. 914, 924, 928, 944, 986, 996...
I'm not saying people shouldn't do everything they can to try and get into a 356, but if you're looking at Driver sports cars for $12,000 and wishing for a 356, it ain't gonna happen.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#48 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Adam Wright wrote: I'm not saying people shouldn't do everything they can to try and get into a 356, but if you're looking at Driver sports cars for $12,000 and wishing for a 356, it ain't gonna happen.
I'm not arguing that point. He asked why an MG is only $12K and a 356 cab is 10 times that. There's no one answer to that question, just like there's no one answer to why 23 window VW buses are 6 figure cars now.

There's more than cost when considering which classic to own, is my point. And yours too I think.

Steven Murray
356 Fan

#49 Post by Steven Murray »

Sean M Rooks wrote: why an MG is only $12K and a 356 cab is 10 times that. There's no one answer to that question, just like there's no one answer to why 23 window VW buses are 6 figure cars now.
Yep, we have today's BUS/356 reality. That's why I was looking for insight into WHO are these buyers. Then maybe I can guess if there will be more or less of these buyers in the future. I could see myself spending $40k (not $12K) for a pretty nice 356 coupe but that's still 50% of today's prices. I say 50% of $80K because I can't get into projects I'm already way behind schedule keeping what I have running. Another limiting factor is I've done zero miles in a 356, so how can i fall in love? i did sit in a non runner last year. I have a decent survivor MGA already btw. It drives (if I put the radiator back in) and might be very original. I think it was the MGA that re-lit my interest in the 356 and sparked my curiosity as to why they are so crazy expensive. I'm a pretty old fellow btw. I drive pretty slow too. So to reverse this, WHO am I? a USA 356 wanna be? - I drive slow, coast to red lights, hate new cars, want knobs on my radio, hates excess complexity, is old, has a bunch of other cars needing work :D

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#50 Post by Vic Skirmants »

My first car was an MGA; NO comparison to a 356!