Trans Linkage Boot

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Craig Geiger
356 Fan

Trans Linkage Boot

#1 Post by Craig Geiger »

I am trying to replace the boot that covers the shift linkage (slips over the t/a and the body): https://www.stoddard.com/69542492103.html.html and cannot seem to figure out how to get it on at the body side - I'm assuming the rubber boot is supposed to go outside of the lip on the body of the car? Anyone have any suggestions, pointers, etc other than finding a secluded work space where lots of swearing will go unheard? I can't seem to keep one side on while trying to get the other...

Thanks!
1963 356B T6

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Trans Linkage Boot

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

No little kids near due to language needed. Lubricant and Vic's method described here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30336&hilit=shifter+boot+install I always heat the rubber in hot water for 10-15 minutes before trying. Mike Wilson turns the boot inside out and rolls it on I think. Perhaps he will comment.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Trans Linkage Boot

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Doug's correct. I found it easier to install the outer boot by turning it inside out then roll it over the lip. Get one edge to catch, hold that edge with one hand and work the lip over the edge with the other. The inner one is more of a challenge due to the limited working room. This also works for some of the other pesky boots. Softening it up with hot water also helps and the occasional 4-letter word is a stress reliever.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe