Wing Mirrors / What make?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

Wing Mirrors / What make?

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
Our wing mirrors only have Made In Germany stamped on them with no makers name, but they do have Three, 4 pointed stars stamped on them, in a triangle form. Does anyone know what make they are, and would they be original equipment for a 55 Speedster? (Picture to hopefully follow)
Cheers Jay

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: Wing Mirrors / What make?

#2 Post by Brad Ripley »

See photo of logo below. If three stars, then the mirror was manufactured by Mall KG, Markgroeningen, Germany -- same town where the Factory photo (below) was taken.

If four stars, send us a photo.

And, if "wing mirror" means the mirror is mounted on the fender, then that was popular mounting location on British cars. In any event, I do not believe any outside mirrors were standard equipment on Speedsters but could have been installed by the selling dealer.
Attachments
Mall KG logo.jpg
Mall KG logo.jpg (9.31 KiB) Viewed 607 times
Markgroeningen Rathaus.jpg
Markgroeningen Rathaus.jpg (26.71 KiB) Viewed 607 times

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Probably an Aero mirror. Long stalk with a "spine" on the top edge, plastic clip holding the mirror is yellow.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brad Ripley »

Actually, Mall made several other models of mirrors that might be mounted on fenders. Other German firms made similar models -- search Goggle under "German Swan Neck VW mirrors" to see others, usually for the VW Bug market. Then there was the British stuff ..... that many furrin car dealers sold along with Porsche with the Raydot and such mirrors ending up on Porsches.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Lots of different mirrors, Brad. A picture of your mirror would help identify it, John.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Clarke
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks for all replies. Brad, that's the emblem with the 3 stars, Couldn't upload pic, Mike ( my son wasn't here! )
So door mounted Mall KG it is.
Cheers Jay

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

Brad Ripley wrote:Actually, Mall made several other models of mirrors that might be mounted on fenders. Other German firms made similar models -- search Goggle under "German Swan Neck VW mirrors" to see others, usually for the VW Bug market. Then there was the British stuff ..... that many furrin car dealers sold along with Porsche with the Raydot and such mirrors ending up on Porsches.
Not to pick nits Brad but it is not Raydot as even I called them for years until I realized that it was incorrect when looking at some new Raydyot mirrors a long time ago before I moved to the USA. Easy mistake as it is a silly name. The company started life as an oil heater manufacturer and branched out into automotive lighting. I preferred the Marchal and Cibie lights when I rallied in the UK in the 60's and 70's.
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Raydyot
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715