Carrera parts : Price estimations

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Olivier Lory
356 Fan

Carrera parts : Price estimations

#1 Post by Olivier Lory »

Hi everybody,

I come across a lot of Porsche 1500 Carrera parts and would like to get a price estimation for the following items:

-Fuel pressure regulator.

-Set of heads

- All internal parts (cam shafts, intermediate shaft, bevel gears,...)
- Crankshaft, connecting rods and bearings.

In fact everything execpted the V drive and crankcase (not shown on the pictures).

Thank you for your advice.
Attachments
2.jpg
1.jpg

Ibrahim Kuzu
356 Fan

Re: Carrera parts : Price estimations

#2 Post by Ibrahim Kuzu »

Olivier,
I am looking for one 1500 cc or 1600 cc Cylinder head
I have one 1600 cc head,I can trade plus cash for 2 1500cc
If you consider let go....
I also have extra 4 Cam Parts....
Please email
kuzu356@aol.com

Ibrahim

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Olivier
do you have a roller crank? the 692/1 PB 1500 was a rare engine. The way I look at the market is that your collection is not worth a lot as a bunch of junk pieces. Things are different now just about everything you need to build an engine is available new. the expertise to repair old parts is sadly lacking and the the real value is having a car that has the engine in it(buy Ibrahams car from him to go along with your 904 project). Hlock I am sure might have a customer for your pieces as a package. you can get more if you sell all the pieces individually but it might take a long time and there are not a lot of DIYs that want to take on the project for the satisfaction just the flippers who are greedy. the the fuel regulator is nice but Rainer makes a great repro. I am sure Joris will give you a sad story why he should buy the parts.
j
Last edited by Jacques Lefriant on Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

The absolute worst parts to try and sell, 4-cam parts. You always have to overpay when you buy them, and then when you go to sell them there are 5 guys in the world who care, and 4 of them usually don't want to pay anything for them. Unless you need them for yourself be very careful before you plunk down thousands of dollars.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Scott Schneider
356 Fan

#5 Post by Scott Schneider »

Oliver,

I too could use the heads. I can pay cash when you establish your price.

Scott Schneider

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

#6 Post by Tony Proasi »

One of my Porsche bucket list items is to Put together a 4-cam. I have come across parts and piececs but never took the leap. There never is enough data on what a “fair” price is. Is the stuff rare because there is not alot out there or is it rare cause five guys own it all.

It will be intresting if someone actually will put a value on the parts or if will just be part of the mystic.

Olivier Auvray
356 Fan

#7 Post by Olivier Auvray »

Why do you speak first about value?
The most important question is: what is the condition of each part?
Four cams or not, sometime, parts are just ready for recycling............. in this case the value is near zero.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Guys
Price is determined by the buyer and it is the value that he or she that determines what it should be. NOS/original parts have some intrinsic value but the pertinent thing is the cost to manufacture and market new production. Currently Capricorn and Classic Parts can provide complete engines using mostly new production parts and the price is about $250000. The engine does not lend itself to an assembly line build but that is not a major cost so DIYs will not save money but just get a lot of satisfaction from doing it. If you have been collecting parts and have an original case you can usually get an original engine done for less investment and the completed engine if done properly should be worth more than a repro. The cost of a repro case at say $15k is not a deal breaker but you end up with a replacement engine. Joris has been looking to come up with heads for one of his engines and it seems that repairing or obtaining a matching head is one of the big problems in getting an original engine built. sure you can spend $40k and get a pair of knockoffs but they have not been perfected yet and you have the stigma of non original parts. Sadly for the enthusiasts there is no perceived benefit by the firms involved in these engines to make parts available economically. The fallout is that we are forced to fend for ourselves. You can thank my good friends Joris and Ibraham for their significant contribution to the availability of parts. I don't care that much for originality but want to improved rather than badly repair old parts. My other concern is that with these astronomical prices who will want to work on these engines and assume the investment in obtaining replacement parts, qualifying vendors to do the machine work involved and achieve a good proficiency in assembling/testing these unique engines.
AMDG
j

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ned Gorski »

Anyone looking for an oil pump make me a reasonable offer..

Regards
Ned
Attachments
15378099372451.jpg
15378099169360.jpg

Steve Kram
356 Fan

#10 Post by Steve Kram »

Oliver
I would be interested in the fuel filter (second picture)
Thanks
Steve

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jay Wiener »

I'd take the fuel filter as well. Looks like it's coming to LA one way or another.

Rainer Cooney
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rainer Cooney »

As many have correctly said value is directly related to quality of the parts. You might as well as someone how much your car is worth from 50 feet away. To sell these for a fair price to both the seller and buyer they'll need to be inspected and given a clean bill of health by someone familiar with Carrera parts. My personal preference for parts would be new parts of good quality. Building engines up from used parts often beaten to an inch of their lives, mutilated by hack mechanics, or both over the years will test the patience of any engine builder and today one needs to be more of a machinist with the requisite tools, precision measuring equipment, lathe, milling machine etc., than a standard mechanic. Now for a quick plug for one of the parts shown that I do make new. Pictured is a new fuel pressure regulator made by me here in NH from melted down old Zenith carbs, yes really.
Attachments
DSC01357.JPG

Michael Foster
356 Fan

#13 Post by Michael Foster »

Rainer, can you contact me offline about the fuel filter.

Michael Foster
mfoster356@yahoo.com
MICHAEL FOSTER