Do I have the Correct Shift Lever?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim R Phillips
356 Fan

Do I have the Correct Shift Lever?

#1 Post by Jim R Phillips »

Should our shift lever have a nylon cup where it fits into the shift linkage reciever running down the tunnel?

For our 1960 (10/59) Reutter B Cab the shift lever that came with the car has a ball at the bottom of the lever that fits exactly into the tunnel shift linkage with no nylon cup. The fit is snug with no room for any nylon sleeve. The problem is the shift action is a little rough and not as smooth as other Porsches we have. I'm wondering if we have the wrong shift lever, or is this correct (metal ball sitting in metal cup)?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Phillips
60 Cab - 152970
63 Coupe - 210945
67 911 - 306249

George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: Do I have the Correct Shift Lever?

#2 Post by George Hussey »

yes early cars did not use the ball cup bushing. I would try to lubricate the complete shift linkage to see if it would be smoother and make sure it is not rubbing against anything in the tunnel
George Hussey

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#3 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Jim R Phillips wrote:Should our shift lever have a nylon cup where it fits into the shift linkage reciever running down the tunnel?

For our 1960 (10/59) Reutter B Cab the shift lever that came with the car has a ball at the bottom of the lever that fits exactly into the tunnel shift linkage with no nylon cup. The fit is snug with no room for any nylon sleeve. The problem is the shift action is a little rough and not as smooth as other Porsches we have. I'm wondering if we have the wrong shift lever, or is this correct (metal ball sitting in metal cup)?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim
The original shift lever in your 60 Cab would not have used a nylon bushing but it fits directly in the end of the "peace pipe"(AKA the shift rod) The ball should have a pin going through it that mates with a slot in the shift rod. Pictures of your shifter and linkage would be a great help in sorting our your issue.

Regards

Jim
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

Years ago, I worked on a so-called shift lever having a lotta sloppiness which its worn ball cup was outa shape.
I modified a new plastic ball cup/socket to suit the lever's end, the cup's ID, & the slot for the pin; Worked perfectly.