rear clip compatabilty?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
tom collingwood
356 Fan

rear clip compatabilty?

#1 Post by tom collingwood »

I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

what model years would suffice for this repair?
Attachments
IMG_3275.JPEG

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: rear clip compatabilty?

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

No expert here but judging by the number of rear sections that Trevor makes and sells: http://www.356panels.com/rear_body_panels.html I would think that you need a T2 coupe rear donor. Hopefully others more knowledgable than me will chime in.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Norman Connacher
356 Fan

#3 Post by Norman Connacher »

I have a rear clip from a burned '59 cab. It is cut from midway aft of the wheel openings to the corners of the engine lid. If you are interested you can contact me at normnchris@aol.com. Give me your email and I will forward a couple of pictures.

Norm

al kuresman
356 Fan

#4 Post by al kuresman »

Hi,

A number of years ago I purchased a 1960 cab, number matching and original interior, that had been in several collisions and had poor repairs. When I decided to do a bare metal repaint I turned to Trevor for 2 new fenders and some other minor parts and they fit very well. Two thumbs up for him from me.
al kuresman

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#5 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

tom collingwood wrote:I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

In the area cut out in your photograph, some 1959 cars were already fit with the stamped location for the back-up light fit to the 1960 model [higher fender line, higher bumpers, etc. I do not know when they ran out of the old ones without the stamping and started using the new. My first Porsche was a 1959 SRC 108109 and it had this feature from the Factory. Knowing how some of the Concours are judged today, I would check your chassis number to 108109 for a baseline. Trevor may be the best alternative for the little section that you need. Also, the exhaust exited through the bumper uprights and that section you have cut-out would have had provision to accommodate the funnel and the pipes of the higher location.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Bruechle »

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#7 Post by tom collingwood »

Albert Tiedemann wrote:
tom collingwood wrote:I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

In the area cut out in your photograph, some 1959 cars were already fit with the stamped location for the back-up light fit to the 1960 model [higher fender line, higher bumpers, etc. I do not know when they ran out of the old ones without the stamping and started using the new. My first Porsche was a 1959 SRC 108109 and it had this feature from the Factory. Knowing how some of the Concours are judged today, I would check your chassis number to 108109 for a baseline. Trevor may be the best alternative for the little section that you need. Also, the exhaust exited through the bumper uprights and that section you have cut-out would have had provision to accommodate the funnel and the pipes of the higher location.

You car had the new stamping?

my VIN 108252

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#8 Post by tom collingwood »

Norman Connacher wrote:I have a rear clip from a burned '59 cab. It is cut from midway aft of the wheel openings to the corners of the engine lid. If you are interested you can contact me at normnchris@aol.com. Give me your email and I will forward a couple of pictures.

Norm
thanks for the rear section!
Attachments
IMG_1833.JPEG

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#9 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

tom collingwood wrote:
Albert Tiedemann wrote:

my VIN 108252
Yes, and I am certain as I drove this car into the ground. More than 400,000 miles
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#10 Post by tom collingwood »

Albert Tiedemann wrote:
tom collingwood wrote:
Albert Tiedemann wrote:

my VIN 108252
Yes, and I am certain as I drove this car into the ground. More than 400,000 miles
Thanks.
The rear piece i used came from a 1959 with the last 3 digits of VIN being 600.

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#11 Post by tom collingwood »

would the rear bumper height for 59 coupe and 59 cabrio be the same? As in the holes located on the rear panel?

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#12 Post by tom collingwood »

what is the perfered way to weld a rear panel on this car?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

The bumper height would have been the same. The preferred welding method is with the edges cut to butt together perfectly with no overlap, and then MIG or TIG welding. Eastwood sells "intergrip panel clamps" for a couple of dollars each that would be a great help, maybe get 20 of them. They clamp through a 1/16" gap between the panels. Excess heat and warping can be an issue. Weld a little at a time, maybe 3/8", and jump around to different spots on the panel. If you are not an experienced welder you might do well to get a 356 expert do do this for you as it can be tricky.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#14 Post by David Jones »

Go to your local harbor freight and buy a couple sets of these to help with welding. I think these are what Martin was referring to.
https://www.harborfreight.com/butt-weld ... 60545.html
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#15 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, same clamps for even less money.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna