It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Forum rules


Please click here to view the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: rear clip compatabilty?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:07 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

what model years would suffice for this repair?


Attachments:
IMG_3275.JPEG
IMG_3275.JPEG [ 1.97 MiB | Viewed 664 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:36 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:21 am
Posts: 3400
Location: Augusta,Michigan
No expert here but judging by the number of rear sections that Trevor makes and sells: http://www.356panels.com/rear_body_panels.html I would think that you need a T2 coupe rear donor. Hopefully others more knowledgable than me will chime in.

_________________
1965 356C There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:41 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 pm
Posts: 62
Location: Seattle, WA
I have a rear clip from a burned '59 cab. It is cut from midway aft of the wheel openings to the corners of the engine lid. If you are interested you can contact me at normnchris@aol.com. Give me your email and I will forward a couple of pictures.

Norm


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:22 am 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:08 am
Posts: 133
Location: Brentwood, CA (eastbay)
Hi,

A number of years ago I purchased a 1960 cab, number matching and original interior, that had been in several collisions and had poor repairs. When I decided to do a bare metal repaint I turned to Trevor for 2 new fenders and some other minor parts and they fit very well. Two thumbs up for him from me.
al kuresman


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:05 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 1246
tom collingwood wrote:
I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

what model years would suffice for this repair?


In the area cut out in your photograph, some 1959 cars were already fit with the stamped location for the back-up light fit to the 1960 model [higher fender line, higher bumpers, etc. I do not know when they ran out of the old ones without the stamping and started using the new. My first Porsche was a 1959 SRC 108109 and it had this feature from the Factory. Knowing how some of the Concours are judged today, I would check your chassis number to 108109 for a baseline. Trevor may be the best alternative for the little section that you need. Also, the exhaust exited through the bumper uprights and that section you have cut-out would have had provision to accommodate the funnel and the pipes of the higher location.

_________________
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:15 am 
356 Fan

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 am
Posts: 270
Location: Radondo So Cal
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... id=2158190


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:01 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
Albert Tiedemann wrote:
tom collingwood wrote:
I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

what model years would suffice for this repair?


In the area cut out in your photograph, some 1959 cars were already fit with the stamped location for the back-up light fit to the 1960 model [higher fender line, higher bumpers, etc. I do not know when they ran out of the old ones without the stamping and started using the new. My first Porsche was a 1959 SRC 108109 and it had this feature from the Factory. Knowing how some of the Concours are judged today, I would check your chassis number to 108109 for a baseline. Trevor may be the best alternative for the little section that you need. Also, the exhaust exited through the bumper uprights and that section you have cut-out would have had provision to accommodate the funnel and the pipes of the higher location.



You car had the new stamping?

my VIN 108252


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:21 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
Norman Connacher wrote:
I have a rear clip from a burned '59 cab. It is cut from midway aft of the wheel openings to the corners of the engine lid. If you are interested you can contact me at normnchris@aol.com. Give me your email and I will forward a couple of pictures.

Norm


thanks for the rear section!


Attachments:
IMG_1833.JPEG
IMG_1833.JPEG [ 935.17 KiB | Viewed 389 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:55 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:46 pm
Posts: 1246
tom collingwood wrote:
Albert Tiedemann wrote:
tom collingwood wrote:
I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

what model years would suffice for this repair?


In the area cut out in your photograph, some 1959 cars were already fit with the stamped location for the back-up light fit to the 1960 model [higher fender line, higher bumpers, etc. I do not know when they ran out of the old ones without the stamping and started using the new. My first Porsche was a 1959 SRC 108109 and it had this feature from the Factory. Knowing how some of the Concours are judged today, I would check your chassis number to 108109 for a baseline. Trevor may be the best alternative for the little section that you need. Also, the exhaust exited through the bumper uprights and that section you have cut-out would have had provision to accommodate the funnel and the pipes of the higher location.



You car had the new stamping?

my VIN 108252


Yes, and I am certain as I drove this car into the ground. More than 400,000 miles

_________________
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:03 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
Albert Tiedemann wrote:
tom collingwood wrote:
Albert Tiedemann wrote:
tom collingwood wrote:
I have a small rear clip section i need repaired on my 1959 356 project and was looking at suitable donors for that part.

what model years would suffice for this repair?


In the area cut out in your photograph, some 1959 cars were already fit with the stamped location for the back-up light fit to the 1960 model [higher fender line, higher bumpers, etc. I do not know when they ran out of the old ones without the stamping and started using the new. My first Porsche was a 1959 SRC 108109 and it had this feature from the Factory. Knowing how some of the Concours are judged today, I would check your chassis number to 108109 for a baseline. Trevor may be the best alternative for the little section that you need. Also, the exhaust exited through the bumper uprights and that section you have cut-out would have had provision to accommodate the funnel and the pipes of the higher location.



You car had the new stamping?

my VIN 108252


Yes, and I am certain as I drove this car into the ground. More than 400,000 miles


Thanks.
The rear piece i used came from a 1959 with the last 3 digits of VIN being 600.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 pm 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
would the rear bumper height for 59 coupe and 59 cabrio be the same? As in the holes located on the rear panel?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:23 am 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 62
what is the perfered way to weld a rear panel on this car?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 am 
356 Fan

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am
Posts: 3478
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
The bumper height would have been the same. The preferred welding method is with the edges cut to butt together perfectly with no overlap, and then MIG or TIG welding. Eastwood sells "intergrip panel clamps" for a couple of dollars each that would be a great help, maybe get 20 of them. They clamp through a 1/16" gap between the panels. Excess heat and warping can be an issue. Weld a little at a time, maybe 3/8", and jump around to different spots on the panel. If you are not an experienced welder you might do well to get a 356 expert do do this for you as it can be tricky.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 am 
356 Fan
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 3336
Location: Harrodsburg, Kentucky
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.
Go to your local harbor freight and buy a couple sets of these to help with welding. I think these are what Martin was referring to.
https://www.harborfreight.com/butt-weld ... 60545.html

_________________
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:33 am 
356 Fan

Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am
Posts: 3478
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Yes, same clamps for even less money.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Robert Vaughan


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group