Bottom fuel sending unit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Haas
356 Fan

Bottom fuel sending unit

#1 Post by Jim Haas »

I need some help and advice on a bottom mounted fuel sending unit for my 1962 356B T6 coupe.
1. Can anyone check or repair my sender?
2. How can i check to see if my sender works? I am sure with a electrical meter but where do i put the black and red leads?
3. I have the original tank, original sender, fuel gage so i don't think there is any mismatch between sender and gage.
4. I understand that finding a NOS bottom mounted sending unit is not the easiest thing to find because very few were used but I would be interested to know if someone had one to sell if it came down to it.

Thanks in advance for all your help and advise.

Jim Haas
Jim Haas
1962 B T6 Coupe
Vin 117920

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Bottom fuel sending unit

#2 Post by David Jones »

Jim, you can only check it for continuity with a multimeter set on ohms. There are usually two reasons for failure. Either a broken resistance wire or corrosion in the base because it has seen water. You will have to remove it to diagnose the problem. You may be able to repair it but a new one is the best option. Here is a link to a guy who may have one. Call and find out.
http://356devotion.com/fuel-sending-uni ... tom-mount/
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is a company that advertises VDO fuel sender repair. Specialty Cars Service Center (servicecenter.com). I do not have first hand experience but a trusted Porsche mechanic in my area has used them with good results.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Haas
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Haas »

Thanks Dave and Mike for you advise.
I will give Specialty Cars Service Center a call and listen to what they have to say. I removed the aluminum cover cylinder off the sending unit and the wires and float are in good condition. So i can only hope at this point the sending unit works correctly until i hear from Specialty Cars.

Another day in Porsche Heaven.

Regards,
Jim Haas
'62B T6 Coupe
Jim Haas
1962 B T6 Coupe
Vin 117920

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Keep us posted, Jim.