Engine Leaking with Video

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

Engine Leaking with Video

#1 Post by Scott Ramsay »

We have been leaking oil for about 1.5 months. I purchased the car about 2.5 months ago and there were no major leaks to speak of other than some wicking found during the PPI. I have a video here of one area I have narrowed down to and specifically the bolt. I am new to this and would appreciate any guidance. Thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS9OT6O ... e=youtu.be

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Engine Leaking with Video

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Scott sent me the video and I uploaded it to youtube so folks could see the bubbling/leak at the lower drivers side stud for 3rd piece. Looking for ideas of cause/cure to stop his S90 from Marking it's new territory. I am thinking maybe a bad 3rd piece gasket ??
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ivan Fuller
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ivan Fuller »

I'm not sure if its the case here but I had an issue with porosity in the third piece casting on my 58 Speedster. Took ages to isolate bit the oil came through the metal when it was hot - no cracks. We had it treated by a foundry and dry as a bone after that.
'58 Speedster
'65 911
revivem.co.nz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#4 Post by C J Murray »

It looks like maybe the 3rd piece gasket is broken allowing the cam gear to "pump" oil past it and to the stud where it takes its path out. There is an outside chance that if the nut and washer were removed and things were made surgically clean and then reassembled with careful and complete application of sealer then the leak may stop. Otherwise a proper repair by replacing the gasket and o-rings is the answer. The first suggestion is easy and might save a lot of work.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tim Berardelli »

A good starting point to determine what the issue is would be to re-torque all the timing cover 12mm nuts to 15 foot pounds.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#6 Post by C J Murray »

I have now looked at a cover and there is a pressurized oil passage both above and below that stud hole. One has the rubber sleeve/o-ring and the other has the rubber barrel at the end of the steel oil pipe that transfers oil. It is possible that the area between the stud hole and one of those passages is cracked. If so I would have a machinist install a sleeve with a slight interference fit and some loctite.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Scott Ramsay
356 Fan

#7 Post by Scott Ramsay »

Thank you all! This is good information and at the same way above my experience level (for now). I've reached out to some local 356ers and they have offered to assist. Thanks!