Fuel pressure

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Fuel pressure

#1 Post by Alex Goodhart »

I do
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

Re: Fuel pressure question for engineers t: Is setup raising

#2 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Why two pumps ?
One pump is enough.

Use a pressure gauge just before the carbs and you will know if you have the required pressure.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Hall »

At first look it does not seem to make much sense unless there is a check valve in the bypass line around the second pump. If there was a check valve, the second pump would increase the pressure, but in the event of a failure of the second pump the output of the first pump would go direct to the carbs through the bypass line. If no check valve it seems that the second pump is running but just dumping any increase in pressure back to the input of the pump via the bypass line.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#4 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

At what altitude are you using the engine ?
If they tuned the engine at sea level and you are at higher altitude you are running rich.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Can you ask your mechanic how and why it is hooked up this way? I doubt if any of us have ever seen it done that way. One healthy pump should be more than adequate.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

Re: Fuel pressure

#6 Post by Alex Goodhart »

I did
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

setup raising

#7 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Facet sent
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#8 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I would put back the mechanical pump. mine is been in the car and working for 32 years.

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#9 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#10 Post by Wes Bender »

I'm with Tom. Put the mechanical pump back on and then mount one electric pump up near the fuel petcock. The mechanical pump will do the job and you will have the electric pump to prime the carbs or act as a backup in case the mechanical pump quits.

Because those electric pumps are not positive displacement pumps, I don't see how they could increase the pressure much by hooking the two of them up in series..... Parallel would increase the potential volume, but I can't imagine needing it.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#11 Post by Alex Goodhart »

The reliable mechanical fuel pump
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#12 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Ok, I understand what you want.
You should use a switch SPDT to chose one or the other pump , if one fails you switch to the other. And your actual connection should be changed to parallel connection. What I do not know is if you will need a check valve in each pump. Do not know if those pumps have a check valve.

Or follow Wes Bender suggestion.

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#13 Post by Alex Goodhart »

I am
Last edited by Alex Goodhart on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#14 Post by Wes Bender »

Understanding that you cannot use the mechanical pump, I would place the two electric pumps in series up near the fuel petcock. Use Hugo's suggestion of a STDP switch to control them. Either pump will pull/push fuel through the other. The reason for placing them near the tank is that pumps are better at pushing fuel than sucking fuel. The mechanical pump would have had built in check valves, so you might want to mount one check valve at the outlet of the second electric pump.

(Now I guess you've got far more info than you were seeking when you first asked.........)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Alex Goodhart
356 Fan

#15 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Thanks for the ideas, pumps are already mounded under the tank in a good location. I have ordered the check valve . The only question now is how to do the electrical wiring to a switch neatly. I have to pull the floor board to see how it was wired. Looks like each pump is on its own circuit but not sure. The fuel regulator will mount in the back near the transmission and bolt to the place were the flexible hangers are that support lines.