Matching 1600S engine case & 3rd peice

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Donald Pirch
356 Fan

Matching 1600S engine case & 3rd peice

#1 Post by Donald Pirch »

I have a 1960 coupe with a nice running 1600s engine, but it's not the original engine. The previous owner sent the engine out for rebuild and then had a stroke. He didn't pick it up and lost it to an engine rebuilder in the San Fernando Valley over 20 years ago as I bought my car in 2004 after he had died.

I've found for sale on Registry Classifieds an advertised 'matched set" of engine case & 3rd piece within 20 engine numbers of my original engine. I forgot how to prove this and need to do so. It's been may years since I read and used the Maestro's engine manual, and built a coupe of engines using it. As I recall he explained all this re engine numbers in that book.

My question is, how do I find out if this engine shell components for sale are a 'Matched set'? Is there an article on the Registry that has this information?

Don Pirch coupe #111334
Donald E. Pirch

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: matvhing 1600S engine case & 3rd peice

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Don,
Request and buy a Certificate of Authenticity (how to do so is somewhere in the mystical, magical, pathetic, Registry web site)
If anyone is interested in 'matching numbers' (and the market prices and scumbag counterfeiters say they are), it doesn't matter if the engine is within "X" of the documented original. It is either matching or it is not; close don't count.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

Donald, what I think you are asking about are the numbers on the case, I believe maybe 3 digits , one pair near the engine type on top near the oil cooler, and a third one near the top of the third piece. Those show that all three pieces belong together. As for the engine serial number (a different number) being close to the original, I agree that is pretty meaningless. The correct age and type is of some interest however.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Pateman
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Pateman »

Use this guide to find the pairing numbers.
I can help with the Kardex also.
Attachments
356 Case number locations.jpg
Contact for Kardex

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jay Wiener »

som the new COAs require you put an engine and trans # on. If it matches, they will state it, and send. you the certificate. If it does not match, they will send a certificate saying NON Matching. We have a few "dealers" to thank for the new system ;)

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Wes Bender »

Unlike the COAs, the Kardex will have the correct info. Contact David P. above.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....