Front Wheel Bearing 1958 Coupe

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Front Wheel Bearing 1958 Coupe

#16 Post by Dick Weiss »

In what way, Jay?

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#17 Post by tom collingwood »

this makes sense on my 1959.
It has the larger stub axles.

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mike Horton »

David Jones wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:34 pm Peter, I was under the impression that the wheel bearings changed with the advent of the stronger stub axles with the model change from 58 to 59 and the change was from ball to roller bearings and the discontinuation of the 2 nuts with locking tab a la VW and the switch to the locking clamp nut. The obvious way to tell early from late is that the left side was a left hand thread and the right side was RH thread and on the later stub axle both sides are RH thread. I thought the diameter of the bearings was the same just the change from ball to roller bearings and of course nothing is interchangeable. It is not from my experience unusual to have difficulty removing the inner race from the stub axle and I have resorted to brute force and a chisel on occasion. The inner race of the inner bearing is a very tight fit but will often times come off with only a little persuasion.
Brad Ripley may be the best source on which bearing is correct. but I think it will depend on which stub axles you have. They are interchangeable.
+1,
... that was what I was told at my local dealer parts counter (by a very sharp, and intelligent parts manager!), back in about '64, when I was getting my '57 T1, back in service, and when one had these stub axles in front of them, it becomes as obvious, as David writes... ! Kudos, David, for your straightforward explanations...
Mike