Ignition Switch Spring

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lukas van Rooyen
356 Fan

Re: Ignition Switch Spring

#16 Post by Lukas van Rooyen »

Thank you gents. Sent a mail to Dan. Still waiting to see some picures of your A's

Lukas van Rooyen
356 Fan

#17 Post by Lukas van Rooyen »

Doug. I jus had my key checked back home and yes I can conform the Ignition key also locks the doors so I guess repairing it is now an option. What do you think?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I would get it repaired if you can find someone to do it. Either Dan if he is still working or try Dick Weiss in Cincinnati, Ohio. Maybe someone else can comment on who can fix these still. I know Larry Markham used to in California but he closed his shop.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

Perhaps Ed Rutherford at Klasse 356 in Torrance, CA.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Lukas van Rooyen
356 Fan

#20 Post by Lukas van Rooyen »

Gents.
Thanks for all the advice.
Yes these posts was from 2018. Hardly been home since then. Covid has kept me away from early 2019 till now.
I contacted Dan at the time and to he said if the spring broke it is irreparable. What I have not given a thought is that it might have disengaged somehow ad Dick has suggested.
Dick, sent you a mail
Thanks all
Lukas

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#21 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I would think that even if not repairable there are enough used ignitions around that an intact one could be keyed to your key number.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm not completely familiar with the ignition switch but perhaps a donor switch can be purchased and the tumblers swapped out.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#23 Post by Ron LaDow »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:46 pm I would think that even if not repairable there are enough used ignitions around that an intact one could be keyed to your key number.
Pretty sure there are units which have died for other reasons and will become willing donors; check with Unobtainium.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Lukas van Rooyen
356 Fan

#24 Post by Lukas van Rooyen »

Thanks guys.
Yes that is an option (donor switch) which I have not thought about before as I would especially not like to change the key as it matches the doors as well.
Will see if I can find one with 3XX number somewhere. If anyone has an old spare unusable one somewhere please let me know.
Lukas

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#25 Post by Spike Jones »

Well, no one has broached the subject of installing an electric priming pump inline to fill the float bowls after an extended period of not starting the engine. Many on this forum have done so and I, for one, have found it to be a terrific addition.Just turn it on and when you hear it begin to bog down, the bowls are full and the engine will start very quickly. Saves wear and tear on many components of the ignition system.
Spike
Spike Jones
'58 Cab