LED FOG LIGHTS

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Winer
356 Fan

LED FOG LIGHTS

#1 Post by Alan Winer »

I am considering converting my Hella 128 fog lights to use led bulbs. My Hella's use the H-2 bulb and they are extremely HOT. There does not appear to be a led replacement for the H2 bulb so I'm planing on installing a socket to accommodate an led bulb.
Anyone consider this or actually has modified the socket?
Thanks
Alan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: LED FOG LIGHTS

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

The way LEDs give off light doesn't exactly mix well with a reflector made for incandescent bulb, but it could work well enough. In my view fog lights are nearly useless, but they look good.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Brad Ripley »

H-2 bulb? Early Hella 128 take a BA20s, later ones take an H-3. In any event, those Hella 128s aren't much for lighting the road, especially since they are a fog light and not a clear driving light.

Leave the Hella 128s in place for appearance only, then -- You might consider some 5" Marchals mounted above the bumper. Here's a kit to convert the Marchal bulb to an H-3 quartz http://www.sure-vent.com/Marchal.htm
Attachments
Marchal 672.jpg
Marchal 672.jpg (15.89 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

John Clarke
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Clarke »

Hi All
Are our generators up to powering extra lights? Especially on the 6 Volt systems. I thought that generators started to throw solder if over worked? I have a real nice pair of NOS Chrome Spots, but have never fitted them because of this. Never wanted to drill extra holes either!
Regarding the original post, do the LEDs work on 6 Volt?
Cheers Jay

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#5 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Yes it works on six volt every light in my 6 volt SC is LED with the exception of the plate lights.

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#6 Post by Alan Winer »

After reading Brad's post about bulb size I checked my fog lights and after all these years of thinking they were Hella, they are actually the Cibie version of the Hella 128.
So now I am less intimidated into modifying them to led.
I'll post photos when completed.
Alan

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#7 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Why would you be intimidated??

Alan Winer
356 Fan

#8 Post by Alan Winer »

OK, let's not get too literal. I would just be more concerned about screwing up Hella lamps than Cibie.

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ned Gorski »

John yes you can burn up your generator if you pull to many amps . if you are concerned you may be close to pulling to many amps just be sure to keep your batter fully charged.a fully charged batter puts less strain on the generator. i ran marchell fogs with the yellow bright marchell bulbs. they were twice as bright as my stock headlights. i ran the marchells in conjunction with the standard European headlight with the high beams on all the time , all on a 6 volt system. i never did the math because i never had an issue . i have since retrofitted my headlights with leds and i must say wow they are like night and day compared to the standard stock European bulbs. i still run the standard marchell fog light for the cool factor but i no longer need them to see.

Regards Ned 55 cab
Attachments
15366697735000.jpg
Last edited by Ned Gorski on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jim Nelson »

One way to help the current draw situation is LED's. The SMD's only draw 2 amps, and the smaller Cu-layer rear lamps, along with Jules LED instrument LED's, go a long way towards my personal comfort level when it comes to using my Marchal 672 driving lights.