A pillar Headliner question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Nathan Ward
356 Fan

A pillar Headliner question

#1 Post by Nathan Ward »

Can someone with a stock or correct headliner let me know if the A pillar piece goes on top or under the headliner?

The only photos I can find are conflicting.

Thanks!

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: A pillar Headliner question

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

On top of headliner. Fold over and glue about 1/4 inch at top of the A pillar strip. You should also have muslin on the pillar before you put the headliner material on.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Nathan Ward
356 Fan

#3 Post by Nathan Ward »

Thank you. Assuming the the angle is that of the post, not the floor (plane)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Lower end of A Pillar headliner material is hidden under dash top material that wraps around lower A Pillar.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#5 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Reviving this thread because it comes closest to addressing my question, but not quite.

I'm finishing up my headliner install and have a question about finishing off the pieces at the bottom of the A-pillar. Jim Kellogg's excellent guide points out that part of this area is exposed when the dash is installed. I assume he means the narrow area between the dash pad and the windshield. How exactly should the liner be trimmed in this area? Does it extend to the edge of the defrost vent? Should the trimmed edge be folded under and glued like the tops of the pillar pieces?

Also, do the liner strips below the quarter and rear windows just hang loose at the bottom since they will be covered by the interior panels, or should they be glued? No way to really clamp the bottom edges.

TIA
Gordon Watkins
1963 356B Super Coupe w/912/SC engine
1986 911 Carrera

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#6 Post by WilliamVaughan »

For a 356C the B and C pillar strips just hang loose at the bottom. They get judiciously stuffed into place before the lower upholstry panels and garnish rails are installed.
For the C the A-pillar piece has another Y shaped piece of head liner vinyl beneath it so that you can not see the body color through the perforations in the outermost layer of headliner.
(description as clear as mud)

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#7 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Thanks Robert. I figured the B and C pillar liners only covered a narrow section between the window seals and panels, viewable mostly from outside and so could "hang loose", but the A pillar in front of the dash pad has me a bit stumped. I haven't been able to find any good photos of this area.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera

Gordon Watkins
356 Fan

#8 Post by Gordon Watkins »

Jim Kellogg's book just says to make sure each side is equal, so I trimmed to just shy of the defrost vent, folded under the edge and glued to the windshield lip.

Now on to installing new interior panels from KH.
Gordon Watkins
1986 911 Carrera