what type radio for a 1956 coupe?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Emerson
356 Fan

what type radio for a 1956 coupe?

#1 Post by Richard Emerson »

I have been trying to research the radio from a 1956 coupe, from a photo I have.

The first four buttons are black with FM FM AM AM and the final is red (it appears but definitely a different color) with either a C or L on it?

Looks like a Blaupunkt.

Having searched I haven't seen anything similar.

And yes I am looking to buy the same model.

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

Re: what type radio for a 1956 coupe?

#2 Post by Jim Clement »

this in the one that is in my car.
not sure if it is correct ?
Attachments
radio 2.jpeg
radio.PNG

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Maybe "L" for Long Wave". Go to Charlie White's site for Blaupunkt radio identification.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jim Clement »

do you have the photo ?

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Clement »

a good source of radios my be
Matthias Klassen at
info@oldtimer-radio.de

he restored mine, and may have some for sale..

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jules Dielen »

I believe all 56 radios had ivory knobs but I could be wrong.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

John Linden
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Linden »

Please post a picture of the radio you are referring to or a picture of the picture you have of that radio. That way we can figure out what the radio really is.

The reason I am asking is as follows:

The US band radios have the letters FM and AM on the end of the push buttons. Those same bands on a euro radio U & M. The Euro band radios often have the L for Long Wave or K for short wave. I can't think of why there would be and L button mixed with the AM FM buttons on the same radio. But maybe someone exchanged push buttons. Maybe it isn't a Blaupunkt. Hopefully the picture will tell the story. We should be able to tell if the radio you are interested in is a Blapunkt, a Becker, a Telefunken, a Phillips or something else. From the dial scale, we might be able to tell if it a US radio or a Euro band radio. I have seen Telefunken radios with colored paint in the push buttons. I have seen Telefunken radios in mid 50s Porsche 356 cars. But from your description, I don't know what the radio is.

Please post the best picture you have. That will help us give you the best answer.

Thanks

John Linden
Alamo, CA
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Emerson »

Here’s the radio that was in the car, now missing.

It’s the best photo I could get, by zooming in.

I had gone to Charlie White’s site earlier but didn’t see a match.
Maybe it was installed later but I don’t think so.

It was a US delivery car, but a Carrera if that matters.
Attachments
D490F13E-7DFB-4F4D-816E-0FC68EBF5034.jpeg

John Linden
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Linden »

The radio was made by Blaupunkt. The brand name could be either Blaupunkt or Blue Spot.

About 10 years ago, I owned a radio very, very similar to the radio in your picture. As I recall it was date coded 1956. My radio had the same outside knobs and the same size and style of push buttons. My radio was for sure a made by Blaupunkt radio but the brand name on the dial was Blue Spot. In the mid 1950s, the US car manufacturers did not offer an FM radio. It was about 1963 before GM, Ford and MoPar offered an AM / FM radio for their US cars. Blaupunkt had FM in the 1950s so they offered a US Band radio with the trade name "Blue Spot" which was targeted at the US market. The radio literature that came with my radio showed Blue Spot radio in the dash of a 1956 Buick. But it was for sure a Blaupunkt radio, just renamed Blue Spot for sale in the US by car radio dealer. The knobs were the same as your pictures, the push buttons were the same and it had AM and FM push buttons shaped exactly like those in your picture.

The radio came with literature which I sold with the radio but I copied it. I sent a copy to Charlie White. I may have kept a copy. But after a quick look, I don't see it. I will keep looking.

In summary:

1) It is a Blaupunkt Radio with either the Blaupunkt or Blue Spot name.

2) It can be used on 6V or 12v by changing wires in the power supply.

3) 1956 is likely the correct date. My radio had a K before the serial number which meant it was made between July 1, 1956 and June 30, 1957.

4) The knobs on my radio were exactly like yours.

5) The pushbutton on the far side is a new one on me. I haven't seen that color. But clearly they made one like it because we now have a picture.

I hope this info helps.

John Linden
Alamo, CA
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#10 Post by Richard Emerson »

Thanks John.

Since this radio was misplaced I am on a mission to find another one to replace it with, which seems like it may be hard.

Your input was helpful.

I’m curious if there is a model name to search on?

Chip Flor
356 Fan

#11 Post by Chip Flor »

Richard,
Here is the Frankfurt (Blaupunkt) that is in my Aug. 2,1956 coupe.
It is a European Frankfurt 1957 model. It has a power supply that hangs from a bracket in the passenger side footwell. The radio has recently been completely restored. All of the capacitors and tubes and cables have been replaced.
The FM does not carry all of the US bands but does carry most.

Because my car was a Sonauto Paris delivered car it could have come with this radio.
I believe it is correct for my car?
Attachments
2873D735-692D-4D56-B5CE-8043F68C9C2F.jpeg
Last edited by Chip Flor on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chip Flor
356 Fan

#12 Post by Chip Flor »

Here is the power supply.
Also, the bag of parts that were replaced to make this 50 plus year old radio operational.
Attachments
BB6B1DBF-3A07-4974-9C51-20B5C86B8BFD.jpeg
9329936A-74E6-4620-A25E-4666EB58AD75.jpeg

John Linden
356 Fan

#13 Post by John Linden »

Richard:

Chip Flor has just posted to this thread great pictures of the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio in his car. This is an example of the type Blaupunkt radio you are looking for. Chip's radio is a Blaupunkt Frankfurt and as Chip explains, it is a European model. Look closely at the picture Chip post of the power supply. There is a long cable which connects the tuner part of the radio to the power supply which mounts under the floor. Chips pictures show the power supply and its mounting location.

After thinking about your radio picture overnight, I believe I know what it is.

1) It is clearly a Blaupunkt Franfurt US band radio from the 1956 / 1957 period. The serial number likely begins with the letter K which dates it to 1956 or the letter S which dates it to 1957. Both the K & S radios have the larger square push buttons which are correct for the 1956 radios.

2) I think the 3rd band --- shown on the last push button in you picture -- is L for long wave. I think the last push button is black just like the other four push buttons. My guess is there is a reflection which caused the camera to make that last push button to look like it is a different color -- sort of a redish tint. My opinion is that last push button is black just like the other four and has the letter L on that last push button.

3) In Chip's pictures, you will see tan push buttons and tan Porsche style knobs. Those knobs match the shape and color of the knobs on the Porsche dash knobs.

4) Your picture shows black push buttons and Blaupunkt Knobs that are not specific to Porsche. As I said in my earlier response, the 1956 Blue Spot Franfurt Radio that I owned years ago had those same black push buttons and black Blaupunkt knobs exactly like those in your pictures. So keep looking if you want an exact match. Radios like that do exist.

In summary, you are looking for a 1956 Blaupunkt Frankfurt Radio with black push buttons and the letters FM FM AM AM L on the ends if it is going to exactly match your pictures. The 1st letter of the serial number will be K if made in 1956 and S if made in 1957. The radio will have a long cable and the Blaupunkt "brick " size power supply. The radios you find may have tan push buttons like those on Chip's radio.

Good Luck
John
John Linden
Alamo, CA
63 Cab

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Richard Emerson »

Great help!

I’m on the hunt then for this radio if anyone has a lead. The 1956 it’s going in to is unrestored with a wonderful patina.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#15 Post by Jules Dielen »

here is one i think would fit your car. no clue if it works but it would look fantastic in an unrestored 356
Attachments
blaupunkt1.jpg
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.