Oh Dear , What Can the Matter Be ?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jon Schmid
356 Fan

Re: Oh Dear , What Can the Matter Be ?

#16 Post by Jon Schmid »

I just took a 12 mm combo wrench and cut it in half with my power grinder. The box end is used on the left rear, right rear, and right front nuts as viewed from the rear of the car and the open end on the left front nut--not enough clearance there for the box and I don't want to cut it down further. Not only do I have room in the rear to turn the wrench but the stubby handles ensure my ham fisted hands will have a harder time overtorquing the nuts.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wes Bender »

The bent wrench pictured allows you to work the wrench from above the carburetor, rather than having to reach around the base. You'll still have to go there to retrieve the nuts or start them back on however.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jon Schmid »

That's where those telescoping pivoting magnetic thingies come in handy, especially if you have to retrieve a washer.

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jim Alton »

David Jones wrote:It also helps to shave some material off the box end to make it easier to get on the nut and be able to turn it. I use a stubby wrench which allows access to turn the wrench and prevents over torquing.
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-pc-sae ... 61395.html
Plus one for the stubby combination wrench.

Porsche had a special tool, P 23 but it was actually something called an electric motor wrench. You can get an electric motor wrench from Stahlwille or a slightly different interpretation from Snap On but you'll have to continually turn the wrench around.

Just go to the store and buy a stubby combination wrench. It makes removing Zenith carbs easy. Better still, buy a set--you'll use them a lot.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dick Weiss »

Surprisingly, the O-ring seal under the side jet cover leaking isn't mentioned; The critical part is making sure it stays in the grove
before re-installing--you hafta roll it slightly twisted to maintain the "squared" shape.
Also, make sure the seal under the bolt isn't broken, overtightened, and make sure the cover isn't indented preventing the O-ring to seal..

JohnLiles
356 Fan

#21 Post by JohnLiles »

WP_20170217_11_25_46_Pro.jpg
OK , just to finish off the thread.....

I replaced the float valve on the leaking carburettor and also the top gasket , the old one looked fine but did not want to deal with replacing it at the place where I keep the car - see picture.

Replaced the carb , then removed sump plug - luckily I had a long bar to put on the 19mm socket wrench.Left oil to run out overnight , then put in fresh 20/50 Valvoline till level came up near top mark on dipstick.

Turned motor over without pumping throttle pedal , so as to avoid starting but get oil pumped around internals.

Finally tried seriously to start it , failed. Left it overnight again , battery on trickle charge .

Tried today - fired first time . Lumpy and low tickover but took it out , got it warm , seems OK , maybe the idle screws on the cab I removed got moved from their setting but it works good enough for now !
1957 'A' and 1955 'Continental Outlaw'