engine tin install

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Crosby Coughlin
356 Fan

engine tin install

#1 Post by Crosby Coughlin »

Is there an order of which piece of the engine tin should be installed first, second, third etc ?

thanks
Cros
Crosby

Michael Hodos
356 Fan

#2 Post by Michael Hodos »

Indeed there is! See pages 192-194 in Secrets of the Inner Circle for a step-by-step description of how to put together the jigsaw puzzle.

Bob Forman
356 Fan

#3 Post by Bob Forman »

Cros,

If you have access to the "engine assembly" tape of Harry Pelow, he goes through it so even and idiot like me can figure it out.
Bob Forman

David Overington
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Overington »

... and don't forget the two little pieces that go on before the heads go on - hard to put them in later :-)
Regards

David Overington

Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

Missing Harry

#5 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

Sorry Cros, Sorry Sorry Sorry! Must have been too tough of a question to get a stright answer! At least no one has tried to sell you something from there web site yet.
Nothing personal aginst you guys/gals telling him where the info is, that is very helpful to a point.

I wish we were still able to read Harry's words, then you would get a stright answer!
KTF
Daryl 63 super 90
Daryl Bruhl

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Farnam »

Darryl - no the other brother Darryl - the "simple explanation" of how to install the engine tin occupies about 20 pages in "Secrets of the Inner Circle", and about 10 pages of the Factory B/C Workshop manual. Too much to simply post them here.

As for why no one has given you a short answer? It is not a short answer question - more like a good illustration of why you need to buy some basic tools (like the Workshop Manual) if you are going to take on these little tasks. You can buy a copy on CD from Bill Romano for about $35, or a photocopy from Charlie White for about $100. Those numbers may not be exact, and both vendors are listed on the 356 Registry web site.

As for "reading Harry's words", those too can be purchased, probably on evilBay, but that's another set of issues. "St. Harry" is not as eternally correct as some would like to believe, but that too is a matter for another time/place.

NOTE - this is not in any way an effort to sell you or Cros anything, just an effort to share some helpful information.

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Greg Spreeman
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Spreeman »

My first time I installed the tin without the benefit of any manuals. It took a good Saturday afternoon and a lot of cursing. Ultimately it all made sense. With the h@ll I've gone through with this car the tin was a piece of cake!
Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC Coupe
1964 356C Coupe
2001 996 Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 914
1965 356C Sunroof Coupe
1989 911 Carerra

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Farnam »

Greg, your experience sounds a lot like mine. Actually was trying to help Cros avoid making the same mistakes.

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

Thanks Harry

#9 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

You guys are right right, I am wrong. SORRY. My advice is get a book from our vendors.
I opened up my SofIC book and this is what I found starting on page 192-208.
-Install heater boxes.
-Attach generator to fan shroud.
-Place fan shroud on engine.
-Attach the 4 cylinder shrouds.
-Attach fuel pump and dip stick shroud.
-Install vertical carb shrouds.
-Install side horizontal shrouds.
-Install oil filter can support piece.
-Install oil filter can.
-Install carb linkage cross bar.
-Install carbs.
-Install gas lines.
-Install carb linkage, spark plug wires.
Hope this helps. May take two days, at least it will get you started.
KTF
Daryl 63 super 90
Daryl Bruhl

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

Okay Cros, I don't think it's especially hard.

I just took all my tin and the shroud off, cleaned it up, put some new seals, and put it 1/2 way back together.

It is easier if you don't have the carbs on (in my case Zenith), but it'll work with the carbs on as well (for reference see graphic at bottom):

- I put the side covers (5) loosely in place and the mounted the shroud (14) with the generator installed over the oil-cooler in place.
- Before you bold on the shroud, put the front (towards the front of the car) cover plates (6) in place (otherwise the left one will be hard but possible to wiggle in).
- Bolt the front cover plates (6) onto the shroud.
- Put the rear cover plates (7) in place (you will notice that the cover plates are under the side covers (5)).
- Put in the little plate (37) in place that has the opening for the dip-stick and the breather
- Put in the plate that goes under the fuel pump (35).
- Mount the generator securely onto the stand.
- Now put all the screws for the tin in place and tighten them. If the side covers (5) give you problems, it is because you didn't put them correct over them manifolds - play with them until they fit naturally and easily.

At this point you are where I am with my engine right now - see picture:

Next steps:
- Fit and bolt on the flapper boxes (12)
- Put new gaskets and fit the J-Tubes with the heat exchangers
- Bolt on both side cover plates (8 )
- Put on the cover plate on the flywheel side of the engine (2)

- The cover plate (38 ) goes on last - after you put the engine back in.

Hope this helps (I left out some stuff like the rubber (1) and the pulley plate, cause I thought it was evident) - if I made a mistake, anyone feel free to correct me.

This graphic is from Stoddard's Web Site:

Crosby Coughlin
356 Fan

engine tin install

#11 Post by Crosby Coughlin »

I figured it out. took a couple tries but it worked out just fine.
Many thanks for all the entertaining input!
regards
cros
Crosby

Dirk Heinrich
356 Fan

#12 Post by Dirk Heinrich »

See, it is really not that hard!

... wonder though now what I made all that effort for if it was just "entertaining" :?

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#13 Post by Greg Bryan »

Consider yourself lucky you don't have a euro heater system - probalby 10 more pieces to get wrong!
Greg Bryan

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

engine tin install

#14 Post by Tim Berardelli »

In my experience most Euro heat engines are missing about ten of the little do-dads that are attached to the heater boxes, carb pre-heaters and of course the two support brackets that attach to the timing cover and the clamps that hold the muffler to the brackets disappeared during the Nixon administration!

Tim Berardelli
Subject: [356Talk] engine tin install
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:39:08 -0700
To: 356talk@356registry.com

Consider yourself lucky you don't have a euro heater system - probalby 10 more pieces to get wrong!

------------------------
Greg Bryan

Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Find out more.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

William Renehan
356 Fan

Re: engine tin install

#15 Post by William Renehan »

Hi gents this is my first post of what could be a simple issue but if someone can describe how this part goes back on (ie which way is it screwed to the case) that would be appreciated (Oil Plate Cover Bracket).
Regards
Attachments
539-06-646.jpg